Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

First time setup

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
johnbigbootie
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I hook-up the base station to my wireless router I get green lights on the power and the internet lights. I can ping the IP address of the base station but I can't add when using a browser on my Mac and the Arlo app on my iPhone.

I have reset the base station w/o any luck.

Any suggestions on syncing with the base station is appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
You must make sure to be on the same local network with your client (browser or app) as the base station for the initial setup. The fact that you can ping the base station seems to indicate that, so I'm not sure what could be wrong. Perhaps try a different browser or PC?
johnbigbootie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Schorschi. I've tried on two different phones and one Mac. Do I need to open any ports or any other magice to get the Base Station to be setup?

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
Your router needs to let ports 80, 443 and the one for ntp through (forget which one that is right now), but if it didn't, you probably wouldn't get a green Internet light.

So, this is a brand new install with an account that hadn't been connected to an Arlo system before?

If so, and you can't set up, you should contact support.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

johnbigbootie,

When you say you reset the base station do you mean you performed a factory reset? This is done by pressing and holding the reset button until all LEDs flash amber. Allow the base station to come back online with a solid green power and internet LED and try again.

When going through New System Setup, be sure the device you are using is on the same network as the base station.

JamesC

gonzo90
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC, I have the same problem.

I just tried to switch over from my existing Vuezone to Arlo. Both of the green lights are on (as shown in the instructions) but neither my Android or computer will find it. I've used 3 different browsers and no luck.

I double checked to make sure I could go back to the old Vuezone basestation and I can.

I've done a factory reset on the Arlo as well as my other equipment.

How do I tell if the Arlo system is using the same network ?

Thanks,

gonzo

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Check the router to verify that the base has an IP address.  The green Internet LED indicates it does have one.  

You say you've reset the base - how did you do it?  The current procedure is to use only the reset button until the LEDs flash amber.

gonzo90
Tutor
Tutor

I used a paperclip to hit the reset button only.

I'm wondering if it's a router channel issue but my router is owned by my ISP and I'm not sure if I can modify it on my end.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

gonzo90 wrote:

I used a paperclip to hit the reset button only.

Reset is HOLD IN with paperclip TILL THE FRONT LEDS FLASH ( about 10 sec or so )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
gonzo90
Tutor
Tutor
That's what I did. All the lights changed to amber then 2 green lights remained (pwr and internet).
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

gonzo90 wrote:
That's what I did. All the lights changed to amber then 2 green lights remained (pwr and internet).

OK... good, so the base is connected to the internet ( and powered )

Now get your cameras near the base, press the SYNC button on the base BRIEFLY and then press the sync button on the camera..

If the sync works the camera will slow flash blue , then rapid flash blue for a couple seconds. repeat as needed.

Morse is faster than texting!
gonzo90
Tutor
Tutor
I understood the procedure but upon initial setup, my computer would not recognize the base station.

I called my ISP and had them check the system and all was fine.

Next I called Arlo customer service and the guy walked me thru troubleshooting my entire setup... including my routers. Turns out my IP address is a bit odd.

He reconfigured the Arlo base and it's running like a charm. I wasn't expecting that level of competent customer service.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Gonzo