Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

First day with replacement base running old firmware

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have have had my 10 camera system for 8 months and I have posted many times about how the system was great in the beginning and rapidlay went down hill. So yesterday my base unit finally would not connect to the Internet or function at all. Because of the way I purchased my system I had a spare base that I can install. Once installed it connected immediately and all systems were go. It dawned on me while testing the new base that it was responding flawlessly like it did for the first few weeks I had the system. I made the decision not to upgrade the installed 8 month old firmware because as we all know on this forum recent firmware upgrades have had many issues. I felt the combination of bad firmware updates and a dying base could have been factors leading to my total frustration with this system. Below is what I have observed today while setting up, streaming and viewing about 25 recorded videos;

1- Streaming is fast, without delay and works the first time every time. 

2- The blurred video play back that everybody is complaining about is gone. 

3- The cameras populate as soon as app or browser is open 

4- System is not forcing a recording upon opening app ( new problem recently floating around this forum)

5- Base does not reboot itself for no reasons and wipe out all my settings rules, modes etc. 

6- No cameras not connected to Internet message. 

7- My entire network, about 20 wifi products are performing faster. This is a result of the sick base dragging down the entire network. 

8- motion recording delay is very very very short. 

9- motion detection range substantially improved. 

So far losing whatever features that may have been added to current firmware updates are far outweighed by good performance. 

I know it's only been a day, but it's the best day this 8 month old system has ever had. 

4 REPLIES 4
CloudHopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Very interesting, Showguy. Let us know how it works out.

When you say the "blurred video play back", is that the smearing you are talking about, or is the image quality just generally sharper?

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I was talking about the smearing. It's now gone. And keep in mind nothing at all has changed in my environment. The only thing that changed was a new base on 8 month+++ old firmware. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's a chance/choice that's up to you but I haven't had any of the reported probelms on my system, always updating firmware as it became available.

blushark
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey Showguy, can you give us an update on this?