Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Firmware Update shut down my wifi

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Msann528
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just set up my arlo hd system last night.  Synced the first camera and it worked great for 10 minutes.  Then I got a message on the app that a firmware update was available.....choose update or cancel.  I hit update and it did nothing and immediately shut down my wifi and said the camera was offline.  Why would this have shut my wifi down?  I'm almost afraid to try it again!

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you mean your home network WiFi or the WiFi between the base and cameras? What are the LEDs on the base showing? WHat have you tried? What devices were getting the update? Have you rebooted your router and base?

Msann528
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes my home WiFi. I had only synced the first camera and in the app on my phone it said a firmware update was available and I had to choose update or cancel. As soon as I hit update I could tell nothing was happening and it caused my home WiFi to go down. I also then got a message on the arlo app saying the camera was offline and it had been working as we had just synced it and it was capturing video. We unplugged the Ethernet cable on the base and the power cord after that. We had to totally reboot our home WiFi to get our WiFi working. After that I was afraid it would mess up my WiFi if we tried again. I don’t know what happened ????
Msann528
Aspirant
Aspirant
Also wondering ifvthis unit will slow down our WiFi or not if we try again? ????
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suspect it was a brain fart on the part of the base or router that was a one-time occurance.I would turn both the router and base off and start them up in that order. Verify that your WiFi is good. If the base still says an update is available, try again. Theoretically, there's nothing that the base can do to hurt your network but a hardware issue is always possible.  Try it and let us know. Worst case, you can swap the system at the store if it happens again.

ANd, no, Arlo won't slow down your WiFi when properly working.