Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Access Log/History

It would be great to have a basic or advanced log/history feature, first of all to see who of my friends logged to the system and at what time, also to ensure that nobody is using my account (in case hacked or someone stole my credentials). Also it would be better to send any of the above activities by email or SMS notifications so that in case someone hacked my account and accessed the cameras I will have the chance to immediately take action. A dual authentication might be useful as well where whenever there is a login attempt, I will receive a pin on my mobile which I need to input on the login screen... As nowadays security is a must, in my opinion the above would give a higher ranking for your product and a better customer satisfaction.

Comments
robertox
Guide

Two cameras (out of three) at a remote location keep going off line, even with fresh batteries.

• current version 2.7.2 3/22/2019
  • camera version H7 firmware 1.3.314

This is impossible to troubleshoot since there are no logs available.  Sometimes a camera is off-line for several days without me knowing, unless I manually check every day.

As users of this product, we need (among other things)

system logs that record

• battery status
  • camera status
  • when a camera disconnects / goes off-line
  • when a camera connects / comes back on-line
  • every time a camera detects motion
  • a daily digest e-mail with this information would be nice, too

some type of function that automatically tries to connect off-line cameras

• I shouldn't have to drive 15 miles to reset a camera
  • especially when they go off-line several times a month

local storage ability

• the base station has a USB port
  • users should be able to attach a hard drive or other storage device to store video files locally
  • in addition to the cloud storage feature
  • my understanding is that this feature is available with the same base station using the PRO cameras
  • so it should be a simple matter of a firmware update?
  • some videos are not available in the cloud storage
  • and I suspect it's because the upload connection is so slow it causes network congestion
  • but I really can't tell without system logs (see above)

Thank you.

soodvarun
Initiate

Hi All, 

I am deeply concerned that Arlo has not implemented any advanced security features which give you

1. Access logs about your cameras
  2. Access logs to your camera video streams(by a third party or another user)
  3. Simple things like 2 step authentication!
  4. Disable all sessions
  5. See history of logins from various devices

Is there a reason why Arlo is not offering  these improved secrity features to its users? 

Thanks

dfp42
Star

Sigh. I tried to request an activity log that allowed a user to see mode changes, activity triggers, geofencing events, battery events, cameras/base stations offline, etc. in a coherent timeline.

Unfortunately, James immediately conflated my request with those who want to track people that log into their Arlo account. This thread is now essentially addressing two fundamentally different types of functionality.

cakwebb
Onlooker

We have an Arlo Base VMB3010r2 .

Please step up the Arlo 'Security Standards' game by providing or including device 'change logs' and or 'tracking history' for the Arlo systems and devices. and access.

Granted, these cameras and devices are certainly beautiful with quality craftsmanship, and are visually very professional . Then, experience the amaturish and clumsy navigation in the apps programming of menus options, and the missing 'history logs' to clarify system events, and configuration changes/history.

Disappointing when a system is so close to perfection with its engineering beauty & connectivity via super-quick setup, yet lacks the functionality of reporting of history and reporting of change logs.

The 'nearly perfect' keeps the Arlo System in the category called 'just an ok system'.

AND... dont' just change the name from Security Cameras to 'fun cameras' because of a critical post of critique/suggestion!!

😉  

Yes, we buy for the fun and we buy for the 'security '. However, ARLO currently has some 'blind spots', hence, we're not feeling truly 'secure' when researching minor quirks of managing/operating/having an Arlo Camera System.

Critique, yes, though still a great fan and owner of  an ARLO Camera System!!

Rickster11
Novice
Please add a log or history to show what the mode was set to and when it changes. For example:
Mode set to Armed on Jan 5, 2019 at 8:00am by user: guest
Mode set to Disarmed on Jan 5, 2019 at 5:30pm by user: owner

I totally agree.  I have actually been dealing with a domestic breakup and am convinced that my ex has been accessing and deleting video records of her illegal comings and goings.  A log, of which has been at the heart of all modern computer systems I can think of, seems like it should not have been purposely ommitted from the system in which not having one, would be of the utmost settlement when trying to review whether the integrity of the system in placed has been maintained , or whether it's been tampered with. Especially simce it's am attack surface that faces the internet!  I have to assume that it's Linux based, why was the log removed ?!  IT TOTALLY DEFIES ALL LOGIC

StephenB
Guru
@Vaughnvbriadben  wrote:

I have actually been dealing with a domestic breakup and am convinced that my ex has been accessing and deleting video records of her illegal comings and goings

FWIW, I agree that logs should be available.

But in your particular situation, simply changing your account password would eliminate this possibilty. 

Adding USB backup storage to the base (assuming it has the needed USB port) might also be a good idea.  The backup storage wouldn't be affected by deletion of the cloud videos. 

bmgoodman
Apprentice
Hey, I'd also like a simple log of when a new Mode was selected and by whom. I sometimes go to the app and find the Mode is Disarmed or some rarely used Mode. How did that happen? When? No clue. Meanwhile, my Wink hub keeps a log of which lights were turned on or off, when, by whom. So might home lighting has logging and my home security does not? Does that make sense?
dfp42
Star

Agree with bmgoodman and others that an activity log would be useful. Lots of other IoT systems have such a log. But as long as the idea of an activity log (mode changes, sensors triggered, etc.) keeps getting conflated with the ask for user login/logout tracking, I fear it will never get implemented. The two types of logging track distinctly different things. And I personally don't care about having access to a system log tracking logins to my system.

onetuff_z
Guide
Is there a way to pull log files from my base unit? I suspect someone could be removing power &/or internet from my base unit and I would like to review the base units log files to confirm. Is there a way to connect to the base unit and review log files. Maybe through ssh or some other method?