Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

False triggers from a tree casting a shadow

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
mcs00mil
Initiate
Initiate

If I understand correctly how the camera works is that part of the motion detection system is done by heat signature. Would be nice if you could select a option where it only looks for heat signitures would be detected and nothing else. I have a huge problem with a tree casting a shadow on my sidewalk causing a motion detection alert. If i could tell it to only look for heat it would cut down on the false alarms. 

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mcs00mil,

You might consider relocating the camera or adjusting sensitivity if you're experiencing false triggers regularly from an object in the cameras field of view.

Take a look here for positioning tips for best performance: How do I position my Arlo Wire-Free or Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera?

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The shadow isn't causing the detection - it's the sun's IR seeming to move due to the branches and leaves moving.  That will cause the IR signature to seem to move.  The PIR sensors only detect IR ("heat"), not visible light. The Q cameras use visible light for their pixel-based detection but you can define zones to help eliminate false detections.