Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

False camera triggers

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
CKWatson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Assuming no mice, cats, dogs, spiders, wasps or other flying insects, what causes interior cameras to have a false alarm - the camera records an empty room with no visible event to trigger recording?

I get at least one false recording a day from one or more of the three interior cameras I have mounted in my home.

Actually, no one consistently lives there - it's a vacation property.  I just would like to know what I can do to prevent these false alarms.

Anyone have any thoughts?  Can sudden changes in light (cloudy day and suddenly bright sunlight) trigger a camera.  I do not have this problem with the external cameras (many recordings triggered by flying insects that show in the recording), only the internal ones seem to have this problem

Thanks,

C. Watson

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

IR reflections can cause this.  Perhaps a car passing by gives a flash of reflected IR from the sun, enough that it causes the camera to trigger.  I suppose clouds could be doing this but I'd think it would be more likely a reflection.  You could try turning sensitivity down a bit during the day to reduce this (create a couple of custom modes, one for day and another for night, with appropriate sensitivity settings and then schedule their usage).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes.. I see this with two cameras....

As the sun travels thru it's arc, there's a cetain time of day when sunlight coming in thru a slider/window cause the camera to trigger.

I know it's this as on cloud/overcast days it doesn't happen.

What I would do is as mentioned set up two custom modes with diff sense levels ( day-night ) and then just throw them on Schedule

As to changing sense levels , do it in small amounts at a time and test so you still get the best trigger response but eliminate the false

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------