Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extending wifi via network cable

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Fab213
Follower
Follower

My garage is further away from my apartment but I have extended the wifi network by connecting the base station to an airport using a standard network cable.

The problem is the Arlo Pro camera cannot connect to the station using this setup.

Any possibility to connect it ?

Basically I have:

1. A internet box, creating a wifi network for the apartment

2. The Arlo pro base station is connected to the internet box via network cable

3. I have another (long) network cable going from the internet box to the garage and connected to apple airport. This airport creates a wifi into the garage, having same name and password as in house.

4. I cannot move the camera into the garage, it doesn't connect to Arlo' base station (cam works in the house).

How can I setup the camera to work from the garage ? Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
manfredz
Hero
Hero

If you connected the base station to the long network cable you ran into the garage, wouldn't that allow your cam to talk to the base station and your base station still be connected to your router/modem?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you have an ethernet cable out to the gargage ( that comes from your house router ) as  a test, remove the airport from the cable ( in garage ) and connect the cable to the base... See if you get internet on the base ( second led from left will be green ). If so try and sync the camera.

If it works then you need a inexpensive switch out in the garage to split the ethernet cable

Remember that the ONLY way to really expand your coverage area is with a second base unit... in you case it sounds like you need a base in the home and a second in the garage.  This would allow cameras at both ends to work properly whith their associated base.

Also the major diff between 1 and 2 bases is that both bases ( tho appear in same program ) are separate systems , each with their own Arming, shedule, etc. (( I actually like this as it make its easy to have different areas on their own schedules which is more difficult to do with one base ))

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------