Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extending the wifi range between basestation and cameras

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
stagden330
Tutor
Tutor

Hi

I just spent some time on Live Chat assistance with Norbert trying to sort out a poorly connecting camera (one red bar/dot of wifi signal).  We checked that the camera hardware is functioning correctly - it is.  It seems that I simply have a wifi deadspot in my home.  Ultimately, we decided there is no workable solution (I cannot move the base station or I lose the signal to my other three Arlo cameras).  I asked Norbert to register my interest in Arlo creating a wireless repeater or bridge solution.

He suggested I post feedback here too.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Simon

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While your suggestion could be useful in the future, you might want to try moving the base station via a WiFi extender with an Ethernet port.  That may allow you to easily reposition the base (even by a few feet) so that all cameras are well-connected.  Is that something you might consider for the time being?

stagden330
Tutor
Tutor
It's a good thought, but I've tried that. Problem is old house and thick walls. I don't get full wifi to cameras at front in the current set up, so moving the basestation to where I get green bars for the back of the house just means they I lose signal to the front. Thanks for the thought in any case.
madler
Guide
Guide

Two of my outdoor cameras stopped functioning after several weeks of working flawlessly. 

After some debugging -- swapping cameras, bringing the cameras indoors, etc. I determined that there was nothing wrong with the cameras but there was too much interference from other wifi signals outside. My signal was too weak -- at least at certain times of the day.  I tried switching wifi channels but that only helped a bit.  I used the Wifi Analyzer app on my cell phone to check the signal at the cameras.  I'm not sure why my neighbors' signals are so much stronger than mine, but I guess my walls may do a better job of absorbing the signal.

I ended up getting a NetGear EX6100 AC750 Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender and placed it inside my garage, and that did the trick.  This was a pretty cheap fix for the system (I found an open-box deal at Microcenter for $35).  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

madler wrote:

Two of my outdoor cameras stopped functioning after several weeks of working flawlessly. 

After some debugging -- swapping cameras, bringing the cameras indoors, etc. I determined that there was nothing wrong with the cameras but there was too much interference from other wifi signals outside. My signal was too weak -- at least at certain times of the day.  I tried switching wifi channels but that only helped a bit.  I used the Wifi Analyzer app on my cell phone to check the signal at the cameras.  I'm not sure why my neighbors' signals are so much stronger than mine, but I guess my walls may do a better job of absorbing the signal.   snip

Glad to hear you solved the problem
FYI for future  ... If you have wifi analyzer check for an empty channel to set your router on.  When the arlo base is fully reset and restarted, it will pick the same channel ( if near the router ) as the router... this will also lower the interference on the Arlo base to cameras
This will not happen unless a full reset is done on the base ( arlo base would had stayed on the original router channel otherwise where u had heavy interference)
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
madler
Guide
Guide

TomMac wrote:

FYI for future  ... If you have wifi analyzer check for an empty channel to set your router on.  When the arlo base is fully reset and restarted, it will pick the same channel ( if near the router ) as the router... this will also lower the interference on the Arlo base to cameras
This will not happen unless a full reset is done on the base ( arlo base would had stayed on the original router channel otherwise where u had heavy interference)
--------------------
I tried that, too.  Channels 1,6, and 11 already were occupied.  I did move to the least used channel. Too bad the cameras don't work on 5GHz.
Omaojohn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to see them offer an extender. I have the same problem with one outdoor camera.

John

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Has anyone successfully used repeaters or extenders with Arlo? Can the cameras be adapted to work on 5GHz?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo cams work on 2.4 ghx / 802.11 and tal ONLY to the base ( or a series 7000 netgear router )

the Q cams work on 2.4ghs and 5 ghz. and talks to you home wifi system

The extenders will work fine  for Arlo bases and Q cams if you have a thru-put of at least 1mb and the extender has an ethenet port( for arlo base ).... this will can be for the primary or a second base if need be as there is no limit on # of bases

Morse is faster than texting!