Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

End of Life Policy

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
ZXE
Aspirant
Aspirant

Like many, I'm gonna be confronted with replacing my cameras due to end-of-life issues. I need some guidance as to which cameras to purchase and would appreciate feedback. According to the literature, I've researched the base unit should operate with all new cameras. I've been unsuccessful, reaching Arlo to get guidance on this, and would appreciate a response from the community. Thank you! 

14 REPLIES 14
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ZXE wrote:

the base unit should operate with all new cameras.

What base unit do you have?

Compatibility info is here:

ZXE
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for replying to my query Stephen. In answer to your question, the Base Station is a VMB4500. Hopefully the station will support the cameras currently being offered. My concern is will Arlo then issue an EOL on the base station?

Oh and just another question assuming the base station will support the new cameras - what camera would you recommend purchasing?

It’s a shame for this of us that purchased ARLO equipment in the past can’t access a sales person via phone.😕

Thanks again for your guidance.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ZXE wrote:

Thanks for replying to my query Stephen. In answer to your question, the Base Station is a VMB4500. Hopefully the station will support the cameras currently being offered.

Did you bother to click on the link in my earlier post?  The VMB4500 is compatible with

• Arlo Ultra 2
  • Arlo Ultra
  • Arlo Pro 5S
  • Arlo Pro 4
  • Arlo Pro 3
  • Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight Camera
  • Arlo Pro 2
  • Arlo Pro
  • Arlo Essential Video Doorbell (Wired)
  • Arlo Essential Video Doorbell (Wire-Free)
  • Arlo Essential Indoor Camera
  • Arlo Essential Camera
  • Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera
  • Arlo Essential XL Spotlight Camera
  • Arlo Wire-Free Camera
  • Arlo Audio Doorbell

@ZXE wrote:

My concern is will Arlo then issue an EOL on the base station? 

So far Arlo has not announce EOL for any base.

@ZXE wrote:
what camera would you recommend purchasing?

There's no rush to do anything.  If I were looking for an upgrade anyway, I would take advantage of discounts.  But if you are happy with your system now, I'd just leave it as it is.

ZXE
Aspirant
Aspirant

Everything is working fine. At some point upgrading would be advantageous but if I dn"t have to address that issue now it would help. I've read the guidance for EOL but I seem to be finding different extensions. Given your take on the situation? Do you think I can postpone the upgrade for another year?

Last question I promise. Thanks for all you guidance!!!

ZXE
Aspirant
Aspirant

And yes I did open the link you provided. Thanks!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ZXE wrote:

I've read the guidance for EOL but I seem to be finding different extensions. Given your take on the situation? Do you think I can postpone the upgrade for another year?

Yes, or perhaps longer.

Arlo says 7-day cloud storage is provided indefinitely 

The first two legacy cameras (Pro and the original Wirefree) reach their EoL date in 2023 July, and get security updates until at least 2024 July.

The others have an EoL date of 2025 January,  which means they'd get security updates until 2026 January.

At some point bugs might creep in that won't be fixed - no way to really predict that though.

ZXE
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to provide what I thought was excellent counsel and information. Much appreciated!!!

SamHobbs
Aspirant
Aspirant

I see the notice at the top of some pages of an end-of-life policy. I need to know the details. I click on the link but the link is for downloading a PDF. Microsoft Edge will not download it because it is not known to be safe. Is the information online somewhere? At least something I can use to determine if it applies to me?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SamHobbs wrote:

Microsoft Edge will not download it because it is not known to be safe. 

Edge downloads it for me with no such warning.  Do you have internet security software running on the PC?

I suggest clicking through the warning, and downloading the PDF. 

There is also some information here:

SamHobbs
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

There is also some information here:

That is the page that should be provided and then if the EOL policy applies then they can get additional information.

I have two VMC2030 cameras. Based on what that page says, there is nothing I need to do, not even looking at the PDF.

TerryFeeney
Tutor
Tutor

Hey Stephen, 

I have model VMS.....is that going to be one of the "end of lifers"?  I have no freakin' clue and can't get a live person to ask.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TerryFeeney wrote:

I have model VMS.....

VMSxxxx are system bundles, what you need is the actual camera model.

If your cameras have removable batteries, then open the housing and remove the batteries.  There is a label inside.

Alternatively, go into the support area of the app (not my.arlo.com), and select a camera.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and you will see a product field.  Let us know what it says.

FxUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

The issue is not only whether Arlo have announced the End of Life date for the models we own, but also what will be the End of Life date for the models we plan to buy to replaced those.

For example, VMC2030 is on sale right now, but that model is already 3 years old.  What is stopping Arlo from announcing the End of Life date for that model in a few months.  The policy seems to indicate a four year period.  Will we end up buying replacements every year?

If I want to buy a replacement now, I would want to get something that would have at least four years left before Arlo no longer support it. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FxUser wrote:

what will be the End of Life date for the models we plan to buy to replaced those.

That is of course a challenge, since we have no idea when Arlo stops manufacturing a camera model. 

It'd be much better if they also had a guaranteed support timeframe when one the camera was launched (which is information that is easy to find).  For instance, 7 years from launch, or 4 years from end of manufacturing (which is later).