Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

End Of Life Policy

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gmcjetpilot wrote:

And the previous post about some change in policy? WHERE. 

Current information on EoL is here:

Arlo updated these links a while ago, and could possibly update them again.  So maybe bookmark them.

FWIW, the recent disruption in service was not related to the EoL.  Arlo did resolve it - if you are still having issues, try rebooting the base and restarting the cameras.  If it still doesn't work, try creating a new thread here, and give the details on what you are seeing, and what troubleshooting you have tried.

Kremmen
Guide
Guide

As I understand it the cloud recording is to continue on the affected cameras.

Well done Arlo and after I've moved I'm now considering 2 x Essential wired and a base station to record locally.

I'll retest Geofencing, that is currently hit and miss with my ArloQ's, but Smartthings works 100% so there is a workaround.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Just be aware of the limitations when using local recordings including the need for a smart hub to access the recordings.

No manual recording or snapshot to local storage.

No website login viewing access only to the mobile app.

No friends sharing of local recordings.

No remote access to local storage unless router port forwarding which is risky unless the router supports a VPN.

No thumbnails of recording events.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor... 

Kremmen
Guide
Guide

Thanks

I've read that kb and I think that's OK.

My intention would be to hide the hub so recordings would be semi-safe, maybe. As long as I get a push notification.

According to that kb you can remotely view recordings via the app.

I'm PC savvy so I'm sure I can set it up as required.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just a quick note that access to local recordings is not available to browsers on any computer. You must use the app for this after setting up either a VPN or port forwarding as directed by the app for remote viewing.

gmcjetpilot
Star
Star

Does anyone know if I switch internet provider (AT&T fiber optics to Xfinity Cable Modem) if I will have an issue with ARLO canceling my subscription.  I assume I just need to plug it into the new modem with Ethernet cable. 

I am not changing physical address or ownership... I am original owner.

EVISPI
Tutor
Tutor

Internet connection would have nothing to do with You're Arlo In regards to subscription .

Saw this.. You can also ask your question directly on web browser and you'll get answers.

Most Arlo devices must be connected to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network to operate. When you first set up your device, you are prompted to connect to a Wi-Fi network, but you can change this network after setup.

Before you start:

• Your mobile device must be connected to the same 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network that you are attempting to connect your Arlo device.
  • Your Arlo device must be in disarmed mode to accept a Wi-Fi network change.
  • Ensure that Arlo wire free cameras are charged at 30% battery or above before you change their Wi-Fi networks.

To change the Wi-Fi network that your Arlo device is connected to:

1. Launch the Arlo Secure App.
  2. Tap Settings > My Devices.
  3. Select the name of your Arlo device.
  4. Tap Connected to, directly below the Device On switch.
  5. Tap Change Network at the bottom of the screen.
  6. Follow the in-app instructions for your specific device or continue to the next step.
  7. Go to your phone settings and make sure you are connected to a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network.
  8. Return to the Arlo Secure App.
  9. Tap Continue to allow Arlo to find the same 2.4 GHz network your phone is connected to.
  10. Enter your Wi-Fi SSID and Password.
  11. Press the Sync button on your device.
  12. When the LED on the front of the Arlo device is flashing, tap Continue.
  13. Hold the QR code in front of your Arlo device and tap Continue when you hear a chime sound.
  14. After Arlo discovers your device and a successful connection message displays, tap Finish.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gmcjetpilot wrote:

I assume I just need to plug it into the new modem with Ethernet cable. 

Yes, that is all you need to do.

If you also have arlo cameras (or a lot of other devices) directly connected to your home wifi, then the simplest approach is to configure the new gateway to use the same wifi network name and password that the current one uses.  That's a lot less work than the procedure @EVISPI found.

necoblitz
Guide
Guide

Bye bye Arlo. 

MatthewP
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Arlo for forcing me to get off my but and get Ubiquiti deployed. I am much happier with a non-cloud NVR and 4K cameras I dont have to replace batteries on. Also doing this now helped me keep from upgrading my cameras and giving my older system to my parents. They also are now on Ubiquiti. Was a loyal customer since 2016, now I see how you are and will be happier on a real camera system. 

Luvvetts
Initiate
Initiate

My cameras are only 4 years old and Arlo is saying they are at the end of their life. They want me to sign up for a subscription or purchase new equipment. To "help" with the inconvenience they are offering a discount on new cameras.  How can I trust that they will not issue and End of Life decree on any new equipment I purchase?  The implementaion of this EOL policy with no "grandfathering" of the legacy equipment is disgraceful and unacceptable!!!

Luvvetts
Initiate
Initiate

100% agree.  My cameras are only 4 years old and now all the features except cloud storage will cease July 1st.  I chose Arlo because of the features included with the equipment purchase and no need for a subscription. If Arlo is going to change the rules after purchase now, what's to say they don't do it again in the future.  Trust is earned and as far as I'm concerned Arlo has violated that trust by not keeping the legacy features active.  

TerryFeeney
Tutor
Tutor

This end of life thing has me very confused!!

Are the models listed in the "end of life policy" the only ones affected?  I have VMS model and it only mentions VSC.

HELP

dwidds
Aspirant
Aspirant

End of Life!!!??? What the hell??? I won't buy Arlo again!!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your cameras will still function after the end of life date is reached, but they will be limited regarding support, replacements, etc. You can read more about the end of life policy here: https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life

JamesC

TerryFeeney
Tutor
Tutor

I've already read it....several times and it does not CLEARLY state what exactly happens at EOL and what models are affected.  That's the issue.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Both of your questions are stated in the above article:

What will happen with my device or service?

When a device has been moved into EOL, the following may occur for the EOL'd Arlo Product:

• No support
  • No firmware upgrades
  • No bug fixes
  • No maintenance releases
  • No workarounds or patches
  • No spare parts
  • No replacement devices
  • Bundled services or features may be reduced or eliminated
  • Future services or features may be unavailable
  • Some automatic email alerts and push notifications may be reduced or eliminated
  • Offers, discounts, and coupons to purchase newer Arlo products may be given
  • For an Arlo Product that is a service, Arlo customers may be migrated to the closest equivalent service or given an offer to change their service plan

Arlo will, however, provide critical security updates for hardware to one year beyond the hardware's EOL date.

What devices and services will be moved to EOL?

The following Arlo hardware devices will be moved to EOL on July 1, 2023: 

• Arlo Wire-Free Camera (VMC3030)
  • Arlo Pro Camera (VMC4030)

Note: US customers who onboarded an Arlo Wire-Free Camera (VMC3030) or Arlo Pro Camera (VMC4030) before January 1, 2023 are eligible for upgrade offers. For more information, visit: EOL Offer Form

The following Arlo Hardware devices will be moved to EOL on January 1, 2025:

• Arlo Pro 2 (VMC4030P)
  • Arlo Q (VMC3040)
  • Arlo Q+ (VMC3040S)
  • Arlo Baby (ABC1000)
  • Arlo Security Lights (ALS1101)
  • Arlo Audio Doorbell (AAD1001)

The following Arlo Services for the above products will be moved to EOL on July 1, 2023: 

• Email Notifications for motion detection
  • E911 Emergency Calling
netserf
Initiate
Initiate

These are the kinds of things they Do NOT promote.  "Buy our products, they are the most expensive, and oh, wait, we will STOP supporting them in 5 years, even if they still work perfectly".  Probably written in the "small-print" and so either buy another product, or change how you record and keep your activities on the cameras.  Many systems record ALL day, and have ways of storing data, as needed, if user needs something.  But, after a certain while, the record over the older content, once the drive is filled up.  Sometimes I think that's better especially when part of a video is missing due to the camera software inadequacy. 

JohnnyBravo66
Initiate
Initiate

End of Life policy is a rip-off for previously loyal Arlo customers.  What a great way to force your customer base to shop for a new system.  $12.99 a month, $155.88 per year, $779.40 for 5 years, $1,558 for 10 years and you know Arlo will raise the monthly fees soon.  Corporate America has accountants running their companies and not leaders of people.  

TerryFeeney
Tutor
Tutor

and that's the reason my boss purchased RING CAMERAS to replace the Arlo.  A bunch of B.S. all the way around.

parker2
Guide
Guide

I am a 40 year veteran in the tech industry.   This is literally the stupidest thing I have ever seen a company do.   Its like watching a car accident in slow motion.

Their CEO is a moron.

VirtuallyMark
Star
Star

I originally was thrilled to have my Arlo system, thought it was great, and would have purchased additional Arlo products to replace or expand my security system as time went on.  The deception inherent in the announcement of their EOL policy turned that around.  Now when I expand my current security system or install a new one it won't be with Arlo products.

WhippetMom
Aspirant
Aspirant

WOW, Now they want us to purchase something new? Really? SO they can pull this same crap on us later?

We have 4 cameras & purchased solar chargers that will all become useless? Great way to lose customers! 

WhippetMom
Aspirant
Aspirant

WOW, Great way to get new customers! 

You have totally lost our trust & if we purchases new cameras from you

how long till you pull the same EOL insanity again? 

Sorry but we invested hundreds in your products only to get kicked to the curb.

We will never spend another penny on ARLO 

I am sorry I convinced our neighbor to get your cameras, He is not going to like this..

netserf
Initiate
Initiate

Basically, they are punishing Legacy users of their products.  People like me, you , and others who jumped in to their boat to support a new product, sort of.  Their Arlo cameras were nice looking and what’ painfully sad, is that they are NOT that great at capturing movement, and getting it on “tape” yet they’ve made it to the point that they can kill a reasonably new(er) product, its life could easily be 10 years.  And so they give a EOL after only a few years?  Really?  Eventually, EVERYTHING will be subscription based.  Leaders of most all companies who have products are tying them to some sort of needed service that must be paid for monthly.  Look at Cable TV.   They started this monthly payment crap, and slowly but surely, companies have followed.  Now we pay for everything on a per month basis.  Add it up, and I bet your monthly payments for these sorts of services easily goes over 150 dollars a month.  Amazon Prime?  And that’s monthly or annually but still they have a monthly payment option.  But, that’s not enough.  They want music streaming, movie streaming, other monthly video portals and the list goes on.  Microsoft Word?  Remember when you could buy the CD?  Now, it’s Office 360, a MONTHLY fee. 
How about Adobe CS 5?  No more.  Now you pay monthly.  The end user is no longer able to buy the rights to software or service, without being tied to a monthly fee.