Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

End Of Life Policy

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@DaveWoj wrote:

@mamarcac 

I thought direct USB access (in the app) meant that you can see the files but you need to download each one in order to view it and can that be done on a phone?

This was McRae's reply to me, referencing the same article I tweeted at him that shows you need a newer SmartHub and it doesn't address the legacy customers. He's just CYA'ing at this point.Screenshot 2023-01-04 094619.jpg

mmorrismm
Guide
Guide

Perhaps hedge funds will now short the stock to oblivion. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TNKay wrote:

I invested several hundred dollars in a brand new set from the Arlo store two years ago. They are now discontinuing support, and seven day cloud storage on the set that is in perfect working condition. 

Understood. Pro 2s I imagine.  

My impression (perhaps incorrect) was that @DaveWoj was focussed on the timing of the announcement and the confusion.  I was responding to the "three weeks ago" bit in his post - in particular the claim that Arlo was selling legacy cameras that recently.

Clearly people over the years have purchased the legacy cameras under the assumption that the free 7-day storage would always be available. I wasn't meaning to imply otherwise.

I don't recall when Arlo stopped selling the Pro 2 cameras - they announced the Essential in July 2020, which was obviously intended to replace it.  So you probably purchased your system very close to the end of its production.

Although I said this before, it is likely buried in a very long thread...  I have a subscription, and the cameras I use aren't in the EOL list.  So I am personally not affected by the decision, and I've therefore chosen not to comment on the decision itself. I am answering some questions on paths forward, and I have also corrected some misinformation (for instance repeated assertions that Netgear owns Arlo). 

You obviously are affected by this, and people in your position certainly have the right to be heard.  I'm not here to defend Arlo or otherwise mute your voices - I'm here to help out other users with their operational issues and questions.  You don't need to convince me of anything - superusers don't have any more influence on Arlo's business decisions than other customers.

You all clearly do have Arlo's attention, how much that will matter remains to be seen.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Mark85

@StephenB 

"From what you can find on the Arlo website, says you can do unlimited  cameras in a single residential location on one account."

I think stephenb addressed this in one post and that information is not correct (surprise). Since they moved to one account and unlimited cameras, it's not based on locations.

I believe you can have 2 or 3 locations and have different people at those locations and still have them under one account

Scotty52
Star
Star

I just got my answers from the top on Twitter. I already have a yearly subscription so I’m good. I can use my pros till they die but they will be having an offer to replace. I did ask them to look at a wired outdoor product as I am an older single female  and hate Going up a ladder. I did have a one wired an an electrical outlet put in but I’d like a hard wired product as sometimes I get error messages

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DaveWoj wrote:

@Mark85 

So Mark,  Say I have one account but someone else has an account with their own cameras. Can all those cameras be combined into one account but also be accessed and notified separately so that now you only pay the one account price?

You can certainly do that with the "Library" experience - and many people have.

I don't know much about the new "Feed" experience, but I think you'd need one subscription per location if you configure the system with multiple locations. 

"Feed" has simplified the modes, and that might get in your way if you try to put all your cameras in the same location.  There are only three modes total (Armed Home, Armed Away and Standby), and that might not be enough to give you the control you need. Geofencing might also be a problem.

PorkChop67
Tutor
Tutor

Honestly, I don't mind upgrading.  But I can't do every camera all at once.  IF my PRO cameras still work then I will transition over one at a time.  IF they all go out, I am out and will go look for greener grass. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I was considering some new cameras and/or some upgrades to my older arlos, but if I lose my other cameras because of forced EOL (Arlo poeple, this would have resulted in a subscription of some sort) I will be looking at other solutions. Really disappointed. You build product loyalty by keeping your word. 

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Arlo doesn't function properly, and least of all when you really need it to.  You'd need to work from home to find out how many triggers it misses - and very often are the triggers you really needed to see videos of...

Eufy interests me, no monthly fee... I've been eyeballing those, but have so much tied up in Arlo I just want to run my Pros until they drop then consider something else...

The one good thing I can say about Arlo is the old Pro cameras are amazing as far as the abuse they can take.  I live in the desert and it's a wonder that these things still work, lol... 120+ degree heat and angry gila woodpeckers, dust storms, and just downright hostile weather conditions...

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@StephenB 

Stephen, maybe you can answer this.

Say you have 2 or 3 people then who want cameras at their location.

Right now I can grant access, push notifications and access rights to other people.

So what if those same people have a subscription, can I combine those cameras now (unlimited) and have one subscription?

gthepad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will I still be able to monitor my Arlo cameras myself after April 1, 2023

gthepad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will I be able still to monitor my VMC 4030 myself after April 1, 2023

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

@DaveWoj wrote:

@Mark85 

So Mark,  Say I have one account but someone else has an account with their own cameras. Can all those cameras be combined into one account but also be accessed and notified separately so that now you only pay the one account price?

You can certainly do that with the "Library" experience - and many people have.

Just to clarify this answer - folks who've done this (and posted it here) generally have a vacation home.  While this is technically a violation of the terms of service, it's not as flagrant as two different households sharing the same account.  

JPav80
Luminary
Luminary

I have seen at least one post on Reddit that indicates Costco would be willing to take back Arlo systems.   It is something to look into if anyone has made a purchase through Costco.   

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@StephenB 

OK so yes. I have cameras set up at a seasonal camp as well as my house

Just to clarify then, are you saying that there is no way to tell one location/residence from another and that Arlo "takes our word" that they are at one residence?

Sye46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Of course sucking it up and paying for their subscription is the cheapest option. But that’s not the point anymore.  I will not be bullied into something I didn’t sign up for.  I will gladly spend more money to buy new hardware and pay subscription instead of giving another dime to Arlo only to have them EOL another product too soon

adam2562
Initiate
Initiate

If they don't come out with a sensible fix to keep storage like we bought this product with for free (discount on their new product for them to do this again in a few years won't do). I will never use Arlo again. There's many other options. I will wait a few months for them to hopefully rectify this. 

adam2562
Initiate
Initiate

If this EOL issue isn't fixed. I will NEVER use Arlo products again. We have other options. I will wait a few months to see what Arlo does. 

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@secaz 

So if you go with Eufy, you will be happy accessing all your videos through a computer on the local storage?

So when you are away, and you want to look at a video on your phone from 30 minutes ago and can't, You'll be happy?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DaveWoj wrote:

@StephenB 

OK so yes. I have cameras set up at a seasonal camp as well as my house

Just to clarify then, are you saying that there is no way to tell one location/residence from another and that Arlo "takes our word" that they are at one residence?

That is definitely the case with "Library", and I believe also the case with "Feed".

With three modes in Feed, you could arm both sites, arm just the seasonal camp, and arm just the house.  If you set it up that way, you couldn't disarm both.

It wouldn't surprise me if they add more modes in Feed - there are several folks who want more than that.  But that's just my guess.

Geofencing is the other potential problem, as the physical location in Feed is tied to the new "location" configuration.  So you probably wouldn't be able to use that feature. 

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@StephenB 

Those settings and features aren't something I'm familiar with.

Since I don't have any of the newer cameras (only Pro 2 and Q), I'm assuming those features won't show up.

What I can do is find the user manual for a newer camera and see what settings and features are available and do some research.

Thanks for you help and patience Stephen

Mark85
Star
Star

I guess my needs are straightforward, since I don't rely on Arlo's different modes. My cameras are all directly powered (got tired of changing batteries), so I have them recording at all motion, all the time. I happen to have them link to Apple Homekit, so I only get notifications per my Homekit rules (e.g. only at night, or if I'm not home).

up_yours_arlo
Star
Star

Well done, Arlo, and successfully implementing an End Of Life policy for your whole company.

Will not be buying another Arlo device ever again.

Warbri
Guide
Guide

Just read that as well. Was about to add another 5 camera system to compliment my 5 arlo pro 2 system. Less than 5 years old for 3 and 2 years old for 2 of them. Come april they will be rendered useless

Good bye Arlo!!!  Premium pricey product that i bought because of 7 day cloud recording. Big Big mistake. This will be the death of Arlo. What a money grab. Will be replacing my old and buying 2 new systems. They won't be Arlo

Warbri
Guide
Guide

Yes as of April 1 2023 most systems such as arlo pro 2 and before they are saying end of life and wont offer support or cloud recording. What a rip off