Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
BobZillaRlo
Tutor
Tutor

Here is a more active thread on the same topic. 

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Numerous threads ongoing about the EOL decision/email sent this morning that the company will be disabling cloud support for legacy Arlo cameras as a violation of the consumer purchase agreement. 

Class action being explored by several.  Obviously will alienate existing customers.

Need to get this in the press ASAP.  Arlo is a publicly traded company with an already dismal stock price.  Need to get this in the news so their shareholders see this isn’t increasing revenue but rather removing customers.  They won’t care as much if we claim to buy another company for replacement if investors see this as a new revenue/subscription stream. 

ideas?  Let’s flood their inboxes so the story is out there when the market opens. 

Cnet?  CNN?  Cnbc?

JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you!

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In response to jguerdat's post:

Since being an early adopter when the original Arlo came out, I've invested over $2,000 on miscellaneous upgrades but all fell under the free 7 day rolling cloud. That was the huge attraction.

You make it sound like no big deal but to many of us who in the past few years were still able to purchase the legacy products with them being sold as free 7 day cloud this is a slap in the face no matter how you want to spin it.

Steve_H1
Tutor
Tutor

Agree with you

alexmereness
Star
Star

I too just received your end-of-life (EOL) email for my products. I have invested well over $700 into this system, in part based on promises and claims made by you. It’s very disappointing that you now choose to go back on said promises, with no real upgrade path for those that have spent hundreds of dollars. I understand eventually not supporting old hardware, but effectively bricking/paywalling the system unless more money is spent (after already paying a premium price) is trash. This is a crappy tactic and a move that will influence my next security system purchase. I would encourage you to reconsider your EOL approach. Recognize you’re impacting your oldest and loyal user base.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well keep us up to date because I would certainly want to get in on it.

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Let’s get this in the press.  Let’s flood their tip inboxes so the story is out there when the market opens.  They’ll be forced to answer when the shareholders start worrying about legacy customers leaving rather than “upgrading”. 

engadget: tips@engadget.com

Engadget tip line 

Cnet?  CNN?  Cnbc?

JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same thing with mine! Just bought them less than two years ago and now they are turning into unusable bricks.

Companies that enact SCAM “policies” against customers who act in GOOD FAITH, should be put out of business.  I’d be interested in researching and pursing a class action lawsuit since my security system is not essentially useless!

JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m in!

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I was one of the first customers to buy the original Aro and modify it (per this community) bypass the batteries and wire it to run off a DC power converter.

Used to be a great system when Netgear owned it but now I'm shopping around. So if anyone can recommend any other system, preferably with at least some free cloud storage, let me know.

Thanks, Dave

ildiavolorosso
Star
Star

Was very disappointed to see this too. Real companies don't abandon their products.

I'll never buy another Arlo product again, and I'll be making that recommendation far and wide to others. As much as I hate to move to Ring (or any Google product), Netgear's planned obsolescence is going to force us to. Just sad I spent so much damn money on these over the years. I guess that's just how the grifter economy works these days.

gburgy
Initiate
Initiate

I’m very upset about this as well. I would have never purchased these incredibly expensive cameras if I knew they’d only work for 4-5 years. This week, I’m going to try to get my money back at Costco (they generally stand by their products and effectively unknowingly mislead customers by selling a product that only worked for a limited, set time). I’m also going cancel my Annual Arlo subscriptions…if Arlo doesn’t refund me at least a prorated amount, I will submit dispute claims through my credit card. And of course I am going to switch manufacturers as well. I just feel horrible because I recommended Arlo to friends and family. I feel betrayed and cheated…I will happily join a class action. 

57A
Star
Star

Another disappointed Arlo customer here.  There was a "contract" to supply me with free cloud storage when I purchased my system (Base Station and 4 cameras - see models in my sig)  Although that was a few years ago, the "benefit" should remain in place - after all, the system was not cheap.

It looks like they will allow you to continue using your old cameras and system (without updates), but they want you to pay for cloud storage, which looks like it's US$9.99/mo for me, which is about C$14.00.  I guess Arlo is following BMW with their "heated seat subscription" approach?  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

So, this is not really EOL, it's "end of free cloud storage."   The e-mail is clearly specious.

I will be looking for a replacement system that has on-board storage and app access for my iPhone and iPad.  

PS. A forum moderator really needs to merge the various EOL threads into one or two.

VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station, VMC3030 | 4 Arlo Wire-Free Cameras
fredq2
Star
Star

see post 49

jbailey128
Initiate
Initiate

Yep, 8 pro cameras here and 4 base stations. Guess I'll be moving on. What a crock!

iwishmystupidne
Guide
Guide

I bought two Arlo Pro 2 kits just 1 year ago as gifts for just over $800. Now they're obsolete? But the box clearly states "FREE Cloud Recording." (Emphasis Arlo's, not mine). The description on my invoice says "Cloud Storage Included" and in another product description from the manufacturer it states "With rolling 7 days of FREE Cloud Recordings." So I was under the belief that these recordings were a free feature included with the product. Similar to, say, Arlo providing a camera as the box claims is included.

There are three solutions as I see it: 1) Refund my money; 2) Keep the features enabled that I paid for; or 3) I can write to the FTC and Attorney General and let them help settle this.

Disappointingly, I see no email or even phone number for Arlo customer service, furthering the belief that business is not being conducted in good faith.

JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@joeykraj Can you please let you know what advice your attorney may have? I have been discussing this new “policy” with a number of different people already, and a number of people agree that this sounds like the basis for a class action. I’d be interested to hear what you find out! Thank you in advance!

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wyze cam isn’t the same feature set because it requires a power supply (non-battery). The main benefit from Arlo was the free cloud backup AND that it was battery powered (allowing one to move it around, place in locations without electricity, etc)

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Btw.  Want to hit their Twitter profile with a flood of complaints?

Arlo on Twitter 

JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@MichaelRo Twitter and Facebook negative reviews definitely help get attention (I’ve used both to my advantage… and to bring awareness to other unsuspecting customers) in the past. Unfortunately, I no longer have much social media (I did leave some scathing reviews on IG though)

But I do think it could be useful to do that… could potentially get others to comment and re-tweet!

blackhorse16a
Tutor
Tutor

I agree with you. Firmware is one thing, but losing the 7 day storage is unfair, not in good faith.

I will not buy another Arlo.

iwishmystupidne
Guide
Guide

Same scenario and cost for me. The box, invoice, and product description all claim free cloud recording and/or storage. As an existing customer, I don't recall receiving any previous notices that such a policy would one day be implemented, eliminating the services I've paid for.

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Anyone know Elon?  Get him to retweet about this customer abuse?

darkness975
Apprentice
Apprentice

I received an email today stating the end of life for select arlo products is approaching in April.   Does this include the Arlo Pro 2 ?