Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Leo89
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can’t seem to connect my Arlo cameras. For some odd reason it’s not getting any Internet connection from the router. I have purchased 2 different Arlo systems and have the same issues. Technical support suggested I call my internet company and have them open ports but my internet company says it requires an IP address and Arlo does not have IP addresses. Help!
6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Only the base needs an IP address and it should get that from your router. Assuming you have the base connected to the router with the Ethernet cable, you should have both the power and Internet LEDs green. The Camera LED should be off or amber. If all of this is true, claim the base first and then sync the cameras.

Leo89
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sorry that is what I meant! I have my base connected via Ethernet cable and still not recieving any internet connection.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What color is the Internet LED? It must be green. Off or amber is an issue.

dinglebarlo
Tutor
Tutor

One would think that you'd be able to access the cameras directly by accessing a web interface via the internal IP (the same way you would with a network printer or typical IP camera) but nope! You have to use Netgear's craptacular "cloud" service in order to use these cameras. No local storage. No local access. Internet connection required. Delayed motion activation (wirelessly). Random disconnects. Expensive lithium batteries. Terrible support. Zero satisfaction. If you still have time, return what you bought, save your sanity.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

These were never sold as IP cameras and the documentation is clear on that. Your failure to research isn't Arlo's fault - it's yours. Same thing with the batteries - you had a choice of the oldest design or the newer ones with li-ion batteries that are rechargeable. 

dinglebarlo
Tutor
Tutor

I was an early adopter of the original wire free cameras. At the time, it did not make sense to have to check whether or not the camera system allowed for local network access of the camera feeds as well as recording data, because every other cctv system on the market does this.

Even though the cameras and base station create their own completely separate network that could operate without internet access, and although the base hardware is completely capable of writing to local storage via usb, netgear decided not make local access part of their roadmap. 

In addition to this, the base station is designed as such that the antennas are facing the flat side of the unit (away from the cables). If you wanted to mount this to a wall with your other network gear, first jam a screwdriver in your eye because it will make more sense that way.

If you want to use arlo, toss out any logical thought process then just maybe it will be for you.  In my opinion, it kind of does the job but it's mostly overpriced IoT hot garbage.