Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
heyandy
Aspirant
Aspirant

After researching various camera's I decided the hardware features that the Arlo platform worked best for me.  I bought 3 Arlo Pro 2 cameras and have two of them setup already.

Now with that said, I can see Netgear is falling into the game of they don't have any software developers and not investing in them by the looks of it.  Two immediate glaring clues to that is the fact that the Arlo iOS application is still not iPhone X aware (the phone has been out almost 6 months), come on, really?

And your whole website is flashed based.  I understand Adobe is saying they will support it to 2020, but most browsers (you know the thing that gets you to your website) are dropping support sooner and making it harder to use flash.

As a software developer that has to support some anciet code, the primary difference is I deal with backend code that our customers don't see.  For Netgear to let the software rot that the customers are seeing has me worried on did I make the correct choice.

You can have great hardware, but run it on an old software platform now a days will not end well.

6 REPLIES 6
madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

You think the Flash thing is the worst thing? How cute. It doesn't recognize the iPhone X? Lucky you.

Their apps are completely useless. If the Geofencing is working, then it's time for the modes to stop working and cameras fail to detect motion and record. If the cameras are all working correctly then they break Geofencing.

Sometimes both at the same time. That has been the standard condition since March 14th, when they released an updated app that was broken, and they have failed to fix it every time since.

Hope you saved your receipt!

heyandy
Aspirant
Aspirant

While I have a very sarcastic side, you can tune yours down...

As I stated, when you are building off an old software base, which was my point, many other things tend to suffer.. 

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

I wasn't being sarcastic. Things just got broken again with the new Android app update this week. Last week I thought it was all good.

Software is a mess.

yougotscrewed
Aspirant
Aspirant

yes you made a mistake.  They don't care, and you are out a lot of money. This system has failed over and over and over..

always seems to be at a critical moment. i don't know about you, but i want my $1000.00 back

ladtracy
Star
Star

I agree, big mistake, it isn't just since March 14th that the software has been broken it has been going on for over a year.  Every time they push a release they break something, when you contact support, they read the same script, ask you to do things that make no sense whatsoever and apparently they security patching takes days since that is often what they blame things on.  I don't think they know why things are broken based on the fact that the support team knows nothing.  I understand having to support old code, but at some point that is no excuse.  Hire some interns for god sake.

Skridsko
Star
Star

Yes, you made a mistake, and so did I unfortunately.

So many software issues and bugs all the time, especially this spring. It is supposed to be a serious home security solution not a beta version of a new Candy Crush game where you can get away with releasing software without testing it properly and full with bugs that the users will find. What QA / test routines are in place? Why aren't the status of the most serious problems posted where you can easily find and follow the progress of them being solved? 

Flash is the least problem at the moment. Serious problems with (forced) firmware update of the base stations. After that followed that the Mode tab is not available in native apps (I still don't have them) but only in desktop browser. I also have the problem that Schedule cannot be edited (get stuck with "Please wait" message).

But besides those serious problems, I'm really happy since we have the warmest and sunniest May weather in Sweden since they started to officially measure weather etc (like 100 years ago)!