Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pixel 3 updated itself to Android 11 and now Geofencing notifications don't happen or delayed

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

My Pixel 3 phone just updated itself to Android 11, since then Arming/Disarming notifications either don't happen, or happen in delayed bundles.

For example we left our house today, my wife's Samsung Galaxy 10S got the Away notification about 5 minutes after we left. We arrived at our 2nd home 30 minutes later and I got 2 notifications as we arrived- the Away from home and the Home notification at the new location. We left there an hour later, her Armed notification was received a couple minutes later, mine was about 10 minutes after we got back to our home. I received the Home notification at the same time.

If she leaved the house separately from me, I never get armed/disarmed notifications.

Nothing else has changed, running the latest Arlo app version. Have rebooted my phone, rebooted the base stations, verified all my permissions (location all the time, no battery saving and unlimited mobile data). Only new thing- Android update.

Anyone else got a Google phone with the update having the same issues?

13 REPLIES 13
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey madkiwi,

Have you tried reinstalling the Arlo app on your Google Pixel 3 device to see if that helps?

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

Yes I did. Uninstalled. Rebooted phone. Reinstalled the app.

It knows I have left and entered the geofencing zone, because my wife's phone gets the alerts. I get the memo about 20-40 minutes later.

I arrived at home this evening and got an alert. I was so excited- until I looked at my phone and it was the alert telling me our 2nd home (that I left 25 minutes earlier) was now in Away mode.

I'm not amused. But as Google rolls out Android 11 to more users maybe Arlo will pull their thumbs out of their ... Or not, as is their usual way.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I would try to expand the geozone size to see if that helps any.... I wonder if with the new os  the way the gps accuracy has changed.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

It would be hard to expand the zone as I already have it set to maximum.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

I would suggest to contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

NoosaHoff
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having similar problems since Android 11 update. The app keeps asking for  GPS access, which has been granted.

Have uninstalled and reinstalled app. Notifications appear every minute to turn on the GPS. 

Have gone back to manually turning on and off  Arlo.

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

Oh I don't have enough time left in my life to waste on contacting Arlo support. Useless and frustrating.

I eagerly installed the latest update 2.21.1 on the 15th because it said "Improved compatibility with Android 11".

No, not at all that anyone can tell. Still am not receiving Arm/Disarm notices. My wife is, and I can go into Mode and verify the system is armed or disarmed so functionally it is working, but I do not receive the notifications.

Also the new version introduced a new bug- "AC power has been disconnected from your Arlo device. Activity Zones are currently disabled" that I have to click through. I have original Arlo cameras, AC power is not even an option.

I've said it before, my cat could code better than the high-school dropouts Arlo employs.

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

Be patient- it usually takes 2-4 weeks for Arlo's genius team to resolve the bugs they introduce in new releases.

Sometimes never.

My Pixel 3 upgraded to Android 11 3 weeks ago and have not received Arm/Disarm alerts since. I hope the problem is resolved by Thanksgiving.

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

So it has been 2 months with this problem, there have been 2 app updates that allegedly "Fix problems with Android 11" and this is still happening.

Rather than force two factor authentication on me I'd love it if Arlo could just fix this.

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

JessicaP,

Your "open a case" suggestion is worthless. I am not within the original warranty period.

Now if our warranty was automatically extended every time Arlo breaks the system that would be the fair thing to do.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi madkiwi,

Let me reach out to you via private message to gather more information from you.

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

I can't even.

My Pixel 3 updated to Android 11. Since then (late Sep) I do not get Geofencing status notifications in a timely basis.

When I leave the home zone the system does get armed. I can go into the app and look at the Mode screen and can see that the system is now in away mode but I don't get the notification that it switched. When I return to the geofencing zone I receive two alerts simultaneously (one hour or 2 days later it is all the same), "Geofencing at Home is now Away mode" and "Geofencing at Home is now Home mode". Both show up with a current timestamp.

My wife has a Samsung S10 (with Android 10) and her alerts come through correctly.

I am now on my 3rd Arlo CS person.

No 1- Thought I was getting 2 notifications from activity zones, told me to reset the activity zone settings (I don't have activity zones).

No 2- Thought Geofencing was not working at all, and it was because my app was outdated. Well I am on the latest release and it has been reinstalled from scratch multiple times (remove, reboot, reinstall, allow permissions, reboot)

No 3 (yesterday)- Thinks I am having notification problems from activity. Wants me to delete all my motion detection modes, power cycle the base station, redo all my MD modes, arm the system and do a walk through to make sure I get alerts.

In other words CS person number 3 is back to the same diagnosis as no 1. Keep in mind this is (allegedly) being escalated to higher level support personnel each time. So reading comprehension is obviously not a job requirement, but copy/paste from a script is.

There is nothing wrong with the modes, the cameras, the activity alerts or the geofencing. It is about the Arm/Disarm alerts, it is something going on with the app in Android 11. I do get the alerts when someone walks in front of the camera (after 5 to 30 seconds, typical Arlo response time). My wife's phone with Android 10 is having NO ISSUES at all, it's just mine.

I don't want to play with Arlo Tech Support any more. Just the worst, with no clear understanding of the problem. Just interacting with them makes my head hurt, I can feel myself getting dumber from the experience.

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

Last week geofencing stopped working properly. We have two homes, each with an Arlo system. If we (spouse and I) leave one location the system will not arm UNTIL we enter the other geofencing area. It's like the App was going "Oh, they just arrived in this location, that means they must have left the other place so let's go ahead and arm that one while we disarm this one".

But it took a turn for the worse. I was getting ready to type this post and went to look in the app to figure out what I needed to mention and the system instantly notified me that our other property just armed. We actually left there 18 hours ago- it has been disarmed since then?

I (stupidly) deleted the app and reinstalled with the latest version (Android 3.2_28350). No improvement. I say stupidly because the prior version let you go into modes, look at the enabled devices under Geofencing and see which ones were in zone. The latest version does not show the geofencing status anymore so troubleshooting is a problem- I can't tell which one of the phones is in or out of zone.

Anyone else having geofencing problems?