Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting to base station without wifi on initial setup

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
positive
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello everyone,

Not sure which base station I have for my Arlo Pro. It says avm4000c-100nas on the box and it was purchased at costco (1135146) a few years back. It has never been used

I have internet but no wireless. I was hoping to plug my modem directly into the base station using an ethernet cable. My modem only has one ethernet port. This system would be used when I'm not home and therefore I would just plug my ethernet cable from the computer to the base station whenever I leave.

But in setting up the base station, it appears that I do need a router (or a modem with wifi) so both my base station and my computer (or phone) can be on the same network to connect.  

Is that correct?   Is there a way to register the base station with a modem but without wifi?

While I am here, let's say there is no way-- wifi is needed for the initial setup. Once setup, could I still have the setup where the base station would be a wifi connection to the camera and it would be plugged in directly to the modem that has no wifi? And it would be something that I plug in the modem only when I am away from home.

Thanks for any insight.

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Depending on exactly how your network is configured, you could plug the base directly into the modem but that wouldn't be recommended due to security issues (no firewall to start). Having the computer plugged in directly has the same issue - it's sitting out there on the great silliness that is the Internet, open to attacks. Very bad idea.

Buy a router. It doesn't have to be a super-duper $400 one, sub-$100 should be fine as long as it's a name brand and is at least relatively new so it can update its firmware for security. That will provide not only a connection for both your computer and base using the built-in ports but also give you much greater security for both.

Don't pass Go. Don't collect $200. Just do it.

positive
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your insight and duly noted.  I am leaving the discussion open as to hopefully get an answer to my question.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@positive wrote:

Is there a way to register the base station with a modem but without wifi?

No.  To add the base to your account,  you need to have either a PC or a phone/tablet connected to the same network as the base station.  To do that, you'll need to connect a router to the modem.