Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting Arlo Bridge to Arlo Base Station

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
j_peace
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is there any way to connect the Arlo bridge to the base station (VMB5000)? When attempting to setup the bridge the Arlo app can see the SSID of the base station but it still prompts for a password which I know is private. I would find it hard to believe that these products are incompatible.. otherwise what benefit does the Arlo bridge have over any other non-arlo repeater?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@j_peace wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. Ok, so the bridge is basically just an overpriced rebranded repeater? My goal is to extend the connection of my base's WiFi since some cameras are a little far.

The bridge's job is to allow the security light (which uses bluetooth BLE, and not wifi) to connect into the Arlo system.  So it's kind of a base station for the security light.

It can't be used to extend your base station range.  The only way to do that is to purchase another base (and place it close enough to the cameras).  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The bridge is connected to your home WiFi - not a base.

j_peace
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the quick response. Ok, so the bridge is basically just an overpriced rebranded repeater? It's surprising that the base's WiFi password can't be shared internally with this bridge. My goal is to extend the connection of my base's WiFi since some cameras are a little far.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@j_peace wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. Ok, so the bridge is basically just an overpriced rebranded repeater? My goal is to extend the connection of my base's WiFi since some cameras are a little far.

The bridge's job is to allow the security light (which uses bluetooth BLE, and not wifi) to connect into the Arlo system.  So it's kind of a base station for the security light.

It can't be used to extend your base station range.  The only way to do that is to purchase another base (and place it close enough to the cameras).  

j_peace
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am using floodlights which can connect to WiFi or the base station. I have them connected to the base station for local video storage. Either way you've answered my question. This ecosystem is a convoluted, expensive nightmare for large homes. Thanks anyway!