Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cloud Storage and Base Station?

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
R_S9
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just recieved Arlo and I have two questions.

1. Do the recordings automatically get stored in the Cloud? Can I disable that? I just want to see live and I don't want the recordings to be saved. If this is not possible then, I can completely delete videos stored on the cloud, right?

2. Now about the base station, what is it for exactly? Is it just for syncing the cameras? I have already connected it to my router. Do I need to leave it working at all times? Will it slow down my Internet speed?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
Master
Master

Hi R_S9,

There is currently no option to delete your videos/images in the recycle bin. The system automatically removes it that are older than 7 days in the recycle bin.  Furthermore, videos/images in recycle bin does not count towards your account's total storage usage. 

Regards,

DaneA

Arlo Team

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
DaneA
Master
Master

Hi R_S9,

Here are the answers to your questions: 

1) All of the recordings are stored automatically on the cloud.  Since you do not want the recordings to be saved and just want to see live videos then I suggest that you set the mode to "All motion off."  To know more about modes, click here.

2) The base station is where the cameras are wirelessly connected to.  It should be left turned on at all times if you want to see live videos through the cameras.  The recommended upstream bandwidth for Arlo is 1Mbps. This is the minimum requirement to insure that Arlo will function and work correctly.     

Feel free to repond if you need further help.

Regards,

DaneA

Arlo Team

R_S9
Aspirant
Aspirant

1. Got it. Thank you.

2. But I can still place the cameras outside the house while having the base station inside the house, correct?

-------

One more question, I have synced one camera for now (have three in total) just to test it out. I have noticed a 5-10 second lag. For instance, when someone passes in front of the camera, I don't see that in the live video, it's only after 5 seconds or so that the person appears on the video. I have searched and it seems this is normal with Arlo? 

Also, when I hit play to see live, it buffers, after it's done buffering, the video stutters/lags. It stays like that for a minute. After that it's okay. Is this normal?

I really appreciate that you're taking the time to help me out here. 

DaneA
Master
Master

Hi R_S9,

Thank you for your response.

You may still deploy your cameras outside your house and have the base station inside your house.  However, keep in mind about the allowable range between the cameras and base station.  Please read pages 8-10 of the Arlo user manual about camera positioning here.

Yes, there is some delay in the start of record. There is a short lag on the sense of the IR and the record of motion.  In relation to this, what is the current firmware version of your base station and cameras?

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA

Arlo Team

R_S9
Aspirant
Aspirant

FW version of cameras is 1.1.2074.

Base station FW is 1.3.2078.

DaneA
Master
Master

Hi R_S9,

Thank you for your response.

The current firmware of both of your base station and cameras are outdated.  I highly recommend you to update both of your base station and cameras to the latest version.  Kindly read these following articles as reference:

How can I trigger my Arlo system to update its firmware?

What do I need to know about Arlo camera firmware updates?

How do I update my firmware when I am prompted that a firmware update is available?

Regards,

DaneA

Arlo Team

R_S9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the information. I have updated the base station and the firmware is now 1.4.2695. Is this the latest one? 

Now the cameras I am having a hard time updating. I have opened the battery door and closed it but it is still on 1.1.2074. 

DaneA
Master
Master

Hi R_S9,

1.4.2695 is currently the latest firmware for the base station.  The camera firmware automatically gets updated in the early morning hours and requires no action on your part.  

Regards,

DaneA

Arlo Team

R_S9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh okay. So I'll have to wait till the next day since it's 9 PM here. One more question I promise, I have accessed Arlo on my laptop and I see that the videos I deleted are moved to the recycle bin but there is no option to completely delete them.

DaneA
Master
Master

Hi R_S9,

There is currently no option to delete your videos/images in the recycle bin. The system automatically removes it that are older than 7 days in the recycle bin.  Furthermore, videos/images in recycle bin does not count towards your account's total storage usage. 

Regards,

DaneA

Arlo Team

R_S9
Aspirant
Aspirant

I accidentally accepted this last post as the solution instead of the first one where you answered my initial questions. I'm sorry. I wanted to click on Reply but I mistakenly clicked on Accept as Solution instead.

Anyway, I just want to thank you for answering all my questions and for all the information, DaneA. Very much appreciated!

DaneA
Master
Master

Hi R_S9,

You are very much welcome! Smiley Happy

Regards,

DaneA

Arlo Team

patsie32
Aspirant
Aspirant