Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chrome will not play vidoes

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
mostlychris
Tutor
Tutor

When clicking on a video in the library in Chrome, it says "loading" and then the play button shows up.  However, when clicking the play button, nothing happens.  Has something changed in Chrome or ports used, etc?  Flash is enabled and working.  Videos from other places play fine.

16 REPLIES 16
AnthonyArmato
Luminary
Luminary

Doesn't work in Waterfox (FireFox) either. Mine normally says Flash isn't enabled after attempting to play the stream, yet Flash is installed and enabled and work on other websites.

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

________________________________________________________________________________________________

AnthonyArmato wrote:

Doesn't work in Waterfox (FireFox) either. Mine normally says Flash isn't enabled after attempting to play the stream, yet Flash is installed and enabled and work on other websites.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good morning AnthonyArmato,

I also experienced this issue in Firefox. I updated the Adobe Flash and had to reboot my computer and am able to stream my cameras in Firefox without any further issues. Please reboot your computer and let me know if you still experience that error.

Best Regards,

Christine

Arlo Team

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Good morning Mostlychris,

I am not able to replicate the issue using Chrome on a PC. Are you using a Mac device to view your library clips? If so, can you confirm which Mac OS and version you are using? We have heard similar reports from other Mac users. Can you try to stream your cameras on Safari and let us know if the problem remains? In the meantime, we are investigating the issue specific to viewing the library from Chrome on devices running Mac OSx.

If you are using a PC Chrome browser please ensure all the Chrome plug-ins are at the Google recommended settings.

To review your Google Chrome settings

1. Click on Settings

2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and find "Show advanced settings"

3. Under Privacy click on Content Settings

4. Ensure Plig-ins shows Run all plugin content (recommended)

Pluggins_Chrome.JPG

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
AnthonyArmato
Luminary
Luminary

WaterFox may be different then.

mostlychris
Tutor
Tutor

It is indeed a Mac.  I am running OS X Yosemite 10.10.  It does work in Safari, so it sounds like a Chrome thing.  Chrome version is 42.0.2311.90 (64-bit).  Oh and for what it's worth, I get an H.264 something error in Firefox any time I try to play the videos so I don't use that browser.

ArloRocks
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also got a problem with Chrome (43.0.2357) on Mac OS X (10.9.5). I can view the live stream just fine but none of the library videos. "Loading" briefly flashes, followed by a blank white picture. Safari works fine for me.

DRUZiE
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same issue using Chrome Version 42.0.2311.135 (64-bit) on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3. This feature worked before on the same Mac and OS X but I am not sure if Chrome automatically updated anything on the backend.

Works fine on the same machine using Safari.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like a Mac-specific issue.  I'm using the same version on Windows 7 with no problem. You might wanna flag it to both Google and Arlo as a trouble ticket.

DRUZiE
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is indeed a Mac specific issue. I confirmed the video playback works while using the virtual machine (running on the same Mac) running Windows 7 64-bit with Chrome. I like your suggestion on the service ticket but wanted to see if anyone else had done so already from this forum.

Has anyone experiencing this issue on a Mac already submitted a ticket to either Arlo-Netgear or Google-Chrome?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe others here have reported Chrome/OS X issues but don't know if anyone made progress. Maybe just backdating one version might be useful?  

https://www.google.com/search?q=download+old+chrome+versions+mac&rlz=2Y3KTZR_enUS0617US0617google.ma...

DRUZiE
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update

Google Chrome updated automatically to version 43.0.02357.65 (64-bit) recently on my MacBook Pro and now the issue no longer occurs. Videos play seemlessly for both live and captured streams as well as in large and full-screen modes in the browser.

Issue is resolved for me. Hope it works for others as well.

Release Notes from 19 May 2015 (Stable Channel Update | Chrome)

philster
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a chromebook pixal and i get the same problem; sometimes they play sometimes they don't. when it doesn't work i see the video in my library but when i click play it doesn't start and just shows the play button again. 

DRUZiE
Aspirant
Aspirant

philster wrote:

I have a chromebook pixal and i get the same problem; sometimes they play sometimes they don't. when it doesn't work i see the video in my library but when i click play it doesn't start and just shows the play button again. 

On the release website Google has several channels for their Chrome products. The Chrome OS is on a seprate development thread then the others. Now I am not a Google developer nor claim to understand their release management flow, but I can say that they have a beta channel that lists some of the same bugfixes that the Chrome browser channel has.

Since the descriptions are vague and the links are protected there is no way to tell if there is a common fix for this issue in both platforms. That said we do not really know if any one of those fixes are actually related to this problem.

Check out Google's release site and see if you can get an older version or a newer beta version to play with. Otherwise wait and see.

mostlychris
Tutor
Tutor

This is working now again on my Mac.  It's using jwplayer or something of that nature to play the videos.  Just magically happened so either I updated something on my mac (a plugin or such) or Chrome updated.

koarl
Aspirant
Aspirant

mostlychris wrote:

This is working now again on my Mac.  It's using jwplayer or something of that nature to play the videos.  Just magically happened so either I updated something on my mac (a plugin or such) or Chrome updated.

Videos not playing on Chrome 47 on Mac and on Chromebook Acer CB11 (Chrome OS Stable). Any Ideas?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Chromebook isn't supported and others have said it doesn't work - prolly a lack of Flash. The use of Chrome on the Mac should work. What about Safari?