Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chrome is ending support for Adobe Flash Player

Mobis
Apprentice
Apprentice
CHROME

Saying goodbye to Flash in Chrome

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

With Flash Player support becoming obsolete in the very near future, we’re happy to announce that as of May 1st, we’ve transitioned away from Flash Player and it will no longer be needed to live stream Arlo Cameras when using a web browser.

Adobe Flash Player is still required if you have a continuous video recording (CVR) subscription plan. We plan to transition away from Flash Player for CVR users in a release later this month.

UPDATE (6/23): You are no longer required to have Adobe Flash Player if you have CVR subscription plan.

View solution in original post

245 REPLIES 245
SallyC
Apprentice
Apprentice

As flash is deprecated on Chrome (and elsewhere) and will no longer be supported next year, I'm wondering if anyone knows if Arlo is planning on adapting the browser interface for Arlo to a non-flash platform?

I can view my cameras at https://arlo.netgear.com/#/settings/mydevices  using IE, but Chrome is my default browser and integrated into other things so I don't really want to have to change browsers.  

I understand the problems with Flash and am fine with it being abandoned, I'm just asking if Arlo has any plans for what's next.  

Thanks for any help or info.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

To best of my knowledge, the move to HTML5 is in the works...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Dz0
Guide
Guide

This needs to happen.  I already can't play videos in my browser anymore because I bought an Arlo Ultra (mistake).

Kdeuces
Initiate
Initiate

I see that Chrome will no longer be supporting Adobe Flash after 12/20. Does this mean using a different browser i.e. IE/ME or will Arlo/Net transtion away from Flash?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Ultra recordings play back here in Microsoft Edge and the "Dev" edition.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dz0 wrote:

This needs to happen.  I already can't play videos in my browser anymore because I bought an Arlo Ultra (mistake).

Totally different issue. Chrome (and many other browsers) don't support 4k.

janety
Initiate
Initiate

Chrome let me know that Adobe is going to stop supporting their Flash Player in 2020. Does Arlo have any thoughts about what Arlo will do with this? Maybe go to some open sources program to take the Flash Player's place? What is Arlo planning on doing for the users? thanks...

No88Fan
Star
Star

Arlo has a year and a half to update web software to not require Adobe Flash Player. Will you do so?

nmd351
Initiate
Initiate

Please, surely there are enough threads here now that prioritise building the website with HTML players only. It's concerning, to say the least, that you have not yet prioritised this. Adobe Flash player is "end of life" next year and now Chrome 76 resets Flash player as disabled on every quit. 

In other words, it's becoming increasingly difficult to use your product and when UX is sacrificed for laziness...

viper111
Star
Star

Flash will be gone 2020.

https://www.blog.google/products/chrome/saying-goodbye-flash-chrome/

No more myarlo as it is! With all the login issues!

The question is, will arlo (netgear) create a open webapplication for the cameras?

viper111
Star
Star

Yep same question here?

Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

Recieved a notice that Adobe Flash will stop working with Chrome in 2020,  I can not acess my arlo on my desktop without allowing flash to work. What happens once Flash is discontinued?  How will I be able to see my arlo once flash is gone from chrome? Here is the notice I got.

Today, Adobe announced its plans to stop supporting Flash at the end of 2020.

For 20 years, Flash has helped shape the way that you play games, watch videos and run applications on the web. But over the last few years, Flash has become less common. Three years ago, 80 percent of desktop Chrome users visited a site with Flash each day. Today usage is only 17 percent and continues to decline.

This trend reveals that sites are migrating to open web technologies, which are faster and more power-efficient than Flash. They’re also more secure, so you can be safer while shopping, banking, or reading sensitive documents. They also work on both mobile and desktop, so you can visit your favorite site anywhere.

These open web technologies became the default experience for Chrome late last year when sites started needing to ask your permission to ru...

If you regularly visit a site that uses Flash today, you may be wondering how this affects you. If the site migrates to open web standards, you shouldn’t notice much difference except that you'll no longer see prompts to run Flash on that site. If the site continues to use Flash, and you give the site permission to run Flash, it will work through the end of 2020.

It’s taken a lot of close work with Adobe, other browsers, and major publishers to make sure the web is ready to be Flash-free. We’re supportive of Adobe’s announcement today, and we look forward to working with everyone to make the web even better.

ocdman2020
Tutor
Tutor

Thats a good question.  I think the amount we paid for the camera they would update

viper111
Star
Star

Hi folks,

See it this way!

Flash is more than 20 Years old, I worked with it 10 Years ago, but I changed my mind really fast!

The question is, will "arlo Netgear" change it too?

Viper

Mobis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo wants to know if this is solved... umm, are you still using Flash?????

RDNH14
Tutor
Tutor

As im sure some of you have seen when you log onto the web server that you see the message that Chrome is not longer going to be supporting Adobe Flash player. 

Does anyone know what with Alro be doing? Will there be an updated alternate?

Just wondering

Thank you

Ryan

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

it has been asked numerous times in the last year or so.....

The answer is Yes, Arlo will follow everyone else and change, prob going to be HTML5

Morse is faster than texting!
cryocide
Star
Star

OK, when? I've been using Arlo since July 2017 and it was an issue even then. TomMac, for a "Guru," your response is shockingly unhelpful.  If you don't have an answer, don't respond just to bump your post count.  We don't want speculation. We want definitive answers.  We are *PAYING CUSTOMERS.*

viper111
Star
Star

HTML5?

OK!

HTML code is needed to view websites, as far as I remember from school.

You could see this code at any website, in any browser!

This Language is pretty stiff, you can't do nothing!

The side need to be fast, dynamic....

You need PHP or javascript to emplement this.

To make it a little clearer here a link:

Dynamic web page

Viper

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cryocide wrote:

OK, when? ... We don't want speculation. We want definitive answers.  

All of us (including @TomMac ) find the use of flash to be inconvenient, and want Arlo to transition sooner rather than later.

And he didn't give you speculation - Arlo has said they are moving away from flash.  But they haven't said exactly when (and I suspect they won't commit to a date here).  FWIW, you didn't ask "when" in your original question.

The first forum guideline is to "Be respectful".  Please do that.  @TomMac  has helped a lot of people here; he isn't interested in maxing his post count.

REB1149
Apprentice
Apprentice

Today, Adobe announced its plans to stop supporting Flash at the end of 2020.

For 20 years, Flash has helped shape the way that you play games, watch videos and run applications on the web. But over the last few years, Flash has become less common. Three years ago, 80 percent of desktop Chrome users visited a site with Flash each day. Today usage is only 17 percent and continues to decline.

This trend reveals that sites are migrating to open web technologies, which are faster and more power-efficient than Flash. They’re also more secure, so you can be safer while shopping, banking, or reading sensitive documents. They also work on both mobile and desktop, so you can visit your favorite site anywhere.

These open web technologies became the default experience for Chrome late last year when sites started needing to ask your permission to run Flash. Chrome will continue phasing out Flash over the next few years, first by asking for your permission to run Flash in more situations, and eventually disabling it by default. We will remove Flash completely from Chrome toward the end of 2020.

If you regularly visit a site that uses Flash today, you may be wondering how this affects you. If the site migrates to open web standards, you shouldn’t notice much difference except that you'll no longer see prompts to run Flash on that site. If the site continues to use Flash, and you give the site permission to run Flash, it will work through the end of 2020.

It’s taken a lot of close work with Adobe, other browsers, and major publishers to make sure the web is ready to be Flash-free. We’re supportive of Adobe’s announcement today, and we look forward to working with everyone to make the web even better.

This is the message that pops up from Chrome which has flash built in . I know of no answers from Arlo / netgear as a replacement for flash . I'm pretty much sure we will be buying new systems . People have been posting about a flash replacement for over three years , and arlo refuses to answer . If anyone has been able to find any answers to the problem please post , but i feel we are simply out of a security system before the year is out . 

REB1149
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can not use my system period with out turning on flash manually , and i have updated everthing that can be , even new cameras . How can anyone reason that ARLO will still run when support ends  ? 

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Couple things here: 

— Netgear spun Arlo off over 6 months ago. 

— It's not uncommon for tech companies to rely on "super" users to answer customer questions, but for existential issues, such as the demise of Flash in this case, Arlo needs to step up and directly address the matter, including timing. Put down the Skittles and deal with it.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey everyone,

We wanted to let you know that our CEO has addressed the issue regarding moving from Adobe Flash to HTML5.

On our roadmap... have a couple of major releases ahead of the transition but the team is aware of the customer need to move to HTML 5 and improve our browser experience. Thanks for being patient.