Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Mobis
Apprentice
Apprentice
CHROME

Saying goodbye to Flash in Chrome

245 REPLIES 245
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

I noticed an icon for "Picture in a picture" in the new update on 05/01/20.

What is this for?  Examples for use?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Notice thislast week along with not needing flash...( prev thread )

Very simple, click on the icon an the live view pops out in its own sizable window

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Seems to be browser-dependent. Firefox shows it but not Chrome.

ALso, I just noticed that live view for most cameras works fine without Flash. Not for my Q camera, though. Strange...

storgeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes Martin - I'll concur.  Yesterday browser access was spotty, the arlo system was up/down.  Today GOOD news, No longer have to respond to loading FLASH.  Tried it in Chrome, Firefox and Edge all work seamlessly. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@storgeman wrote:

Yes Martin - I'll concur.  Yesterday browser access was spotty, the arlo system was up/down.  Today GOOD news, No longer have to respond to loading FLASH.  Tried it in Chrome, Firefox and Edge all work seamlessly. 

Correct.  Flash is not longer used for live streaming or for viewing library recordings.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Yea I can also view 2k with edge now though some could before. 

jbandes
Guide
Guide
A major company was not going to abandon the users. All those "the sky is falling" were overreacting. So glad this is finally being addressed. They could however done a better job communicating with their clients
Binary100100
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't use Firefox but I use Brave, Chrome and Edge.

Today (May 3, 2020) I'm still getting "A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required. Please install the latest version from here." I still have to allow it. Maybe they were testing it?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Binary100100 wrote:

I don't use Firefox but I use Brave, Chrome and Edge.

Today (May 3, 2020) I'm still getting "A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required. Please install the latest version from here." I still have to allow it. Maybe they were testing it?

I'm not seeing it.  What camera are you using?  Are you using CVR?

MRyanNYC
Star
Star
I’m using Safari on my iPad and iMac. I’m not getting the flash message now, but the video stream won’t start.

Can anyone else using Safari on an Apple device see if it’s working?
Binary100100
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo Pro 2. With the recorded events and CVR it appears that I don't require Flash but for live view I still need flash for some reason. I tried with multiple browsers.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Binary100100 wrote:

Arlo Pro 2. With the recorded events and CVR it appears that I don't require Flash but for live view I still need flash for some reason. I tried with multiple browsers.

Interesting.  Live View works with my own Pro2 when flash is blocked.  The Pro2 is connected to a VMB5000 base.

I just checked this with Chromium Edge and Chrome.

Did you try clearing the browser cache?

Binary100100
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just tried clearing the cache and even incognito mode. I even tried two other computers. I still need Flash for Live view.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Binary100100 wrote:
Just tried clearing the cache and even incognito mode. I even tried two other computers. I still need Flash for Live view.

Possibly it might take a while for the change to propagate to all their servers?

Maybe try again tomorrow.

Binary100100
Apprentice
Apprentice

As you can see... I still need Flash. Tried Chrome  81.0.4044.129, Brave Version 1.8.86 Chromium: 81.0.4044.129 and Edge 44.18362.449.0

needflash.jpg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Binary100100 wrote:

As you can see... I still need Flash. Tried Chrome  81.0.4044.129, Brave Version 1.8.86 Chromium: 81.0.4044.129 and Edge 44.18362.449.0

needflash.jpg

Are all three cameras using CVR?

Binary100100
Apprentice
Apprentice
CVR Plan
Change Plan
14 days (3)
3 camera(s) participating

Arlo Smart
Change Plan
Arlo Smart Premier 

3 of 3 camera(s) participating

Basestation:
VersionVMB4000r3
Firmware1.16.1.3_3394_1a608c1

Cameras:
HW VersionH3
Firmware1.125.14.0_34_1189

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Binary100100 wrote:

may have solved Browser Flash issue?

Yes.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

With Flash Player support becoming obsolete in the very near future, we’re happy to announce that as of May 1st, we’ve transitioned away from Flash Player and it will no longer be needed to live stream Arlo Cameras when using a web browser.

Adobe Flash Player is still required if you have a continuous video recording (CVR) subscription plan. We plan to transition away from Flash Player for CVR users in a release later this month.

UPDATE (6/23): You are no longer required to have Adobe Flash Player if you have CVR subscription plan.

Tech-D
Luminary
Luminary

I feel like I only come here to complain about problems with my arlo system, but I wanted to say thanks to Arlo.  Not sure when this changed because I know around early this year I wasn't able to watch live video on my camera via my Chrome browser.  This past week while dong a few things I decided to check out the live feed in Chrome and it was working.

So thank you Arlo this is a feature I really like.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Flash was recently (and FINALLY!!) removed as a requirement for live view and replaced with HTML5. That has certainly eliminated a sore spot and the subject of numerous complaints.