Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Mobis
Apprentice
Apprentice
CHROME

Saying goodbye to Flash in Chrome

245 REPLIES 245
frankstallone
Star
Star

Their response to me on Facebook was a joke.  I was told to use the mobile app instead of the website and that they have other more important milestones to get out before the get rid of Flash.

I swear, whoever is running Arlo should immediately get fired and replace with someone who is competent and understands customer needs.

I am stuck with thousands of dollars worth of their hardware and no desktop ways to manage these cameras or view them remotely and efficiently.  "Use the mobile app" is a completely unacceptable answer when enterprise customers are asking you to fix a major problem with your software.  

I cannot wait to get this garbage out of my environment and replace it with something that actually works...anything, even Ubiquity cameras would be better than this crap.

storgeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

What they really should do is get rid of the browser software  and replace it with a Windows app. 

Ring has a Windows 10 app that I've used for years since I have a RING Door bell.  It does W10 Notifications when somebody comes to the door, I can answer those notifications and talk to the who ever is there just like the app on my android phone.  

This would fix all of their problems and remove the need for FLASH.   

frankstallone
Star
Star

So the millions of MacOS users out there would just be out of luck?  Sounds like a solid business plan...

toto76
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all! 

I would have never expected that Netgear is running so behind the technology development. The Flash deadline 12/2020 was known since years, and now it is just behind the corner.  By now I would have expected at least a beta version in HTML5.

Unbelievable! 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@frankstallone wrote:

So the millions of MacOS users out there would just be out of luck?  Sounds like a solid business plan...

It'd be easy enough to also provide a MacOS app.

frankstallone
Star
Star

Time to move on from Arlo to something better....I am replacing all my Arlo cameras with Ubiquiti.  Just takes a little more work to run a few cables but this is goodbye to a company that has turned out to be a scam, a failure and a fraud regarding their products.

Malki
Initiate
Initiate

I Agree. Actually getting to the camera screens when using a browser is becoming a minefield of pop-ups, and thats after we have to allow permission for Flash.

Surely an alternative to Flash must  be in the pipeline, or all our  cameras will be defunct by the end of the year.

Lose the pop-ups! We know how to upgrade if we need to!

Binary100100
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here's what's going to happen:

Sometime in the Fall or early Winter season Arlo will send a message to their customers using the COVID-19 pandemic as an excuse to why they haven't released an update. This will leave their gullible customers with what they consider a reasonable explanation that may be satisfactory to them. Realistically, the developers can still work from home. Most already do! But Arlo will want to lead us to believe that this crisis will effect development. It won't be until the Spring of 2021 that Arlo will release a test of the HTML5 system for us to use on Chrome, Edge and Mozilla. Until then Arlo will recommend (highly) that we continue to use the Arlo app for Android and iPhone. Meanwhile someone will release an unofficial tool to log us in to view our cameras remotely but it will be a backdoor and security exploit making us all foolishly vulnerable. But we'll use it anyway (might even have to pay for it) just so we can use the services that we're paying in full for. Then Arlo will claim that they aren't at fault for the security exploit because their customers used unofficial apps and extensions.

ksss11
Luminary
Luminary

I just got on desktop and got a header bar on Chrome home page about no Flash at end of 2020. Is Arlo still on track to not need this? If not, then what browser will I have to get used to (arggh) by end of year?

Inzax
Tutor
Tutor

I have been looking for an Arlo alternative as the deadline approaches.  I went with Google Nest on my new place mostly because the cameras were already installed.  

My Arlo system at my second place will be replaced.  Almost a year of having to "reload" the web page after enabling flash has me annoyed.  I have had three or four people approach me about camera systems over the last year.  I have told each one about the flash issue.  None of them ended up going with Arlo.  

I know I am not offering a solution.  I am just complaining.  Makes me feel better.  

jmace57
Aspirant
Aspirant
joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

Adobe Flash is going to become obsolete this year.  What is Arlo going to do to circumvent that?

ctgarvey
Initiate
Initiate

image.png

I am junking these useless cameras. For the last couple of years, i always get this irritating time consuming  prompt and by the time i have fumbled around chrome settings and restarted it, the reason i went to look at cameras in first place has long since left the building.....Not fit for purpose on google Chrome running on windows 10 . Even the link doesnt seem to work and is of course blocked by chrome.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ctgarvey wrote:

Even the link doesnt seem to work and is of course blocked by chrome.

With Chrome you click on the padlock next to the address bar (my.arlo.com) before you log in.  Then select allow flash.  You will get a page reload prompt - after that log in normally, and you won't see these messages.

Note you can also do it later on - you'll just have to log in again after the page reload. 

will_s_martin
Aspirant
Aspirant

We're more than 7 months since this update. Why are we still waiting on what should be a P0 (for security and future platform stability reasons) migration? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@will_s_martin wrote:

We're more than 7 months since this update. Why are we still waiting on what should be a P0 (for security and future platform stability reasons) migration? 

Because they have another 8 months to roll it out.

ARLO_MD
Tutor
Tutor

A clunky way to re-enable outdated, insecure technology until a last minute fix can be made is exactly what I expect from a premium camera security system...

Btw, the point is over there behind you... where it landed after it flew over your head.

frankstallone
Star
Star

Already switched to Ubiquiti Protect.  I may keep a few Arlo cameras around under the free plan but I am done with their garbage cameras and support.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ARLO_MD wrote:

A clunky way to re-enable outdated, insecure technology until a last minute fix can be made is exactly what I expect from a premium camera security system...

We all want them to move on from Flash - and we all want them to move on sooner rather than later.  

But pounding your fist on the table won't speed anything up.  And I'd be very surprised if they pre-announce the timetable for their rollout of html5.  

ARLO_MD
Tutor
Tutor
They obviously don't care no matter what their customers say, so you are probably right.
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

I actually agree. Instead of pounding fists, take your money elsewhere. Arlo is a sinking ship and I hate to say that as others on here, I made an investment. But they just _cannot_ get their S together. On the app, on the web, live view, literally anything.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Personally I think they will migrate to html5 smoothly, and well before the browsers drop flash.  But we will have to wait and see.

Quicks713
Aspirant
Aspirant

And?

Quicks713
Aspirant
Aspirant

There's a fix, it's quite simple really. Try this (for Chrome)

Right click on the Pad lock at the top in the address bar. Left of the website address.

Do it while you're on the  https://my.arlo.com page looking at your cameras.

The secure connection drop down will show Flash as an option default currently is to block it. 

ALLOW it, and Done Works for me without the annoying error msg.

Arlo 1.jpgArlo 2.jpg 

Quicks713
Aspirant
Aspirant

Right Click on the secure pad lock in the address bar while on the camera Page and Change the default to ALLOW

Arlo 1.jpgArlo 2.jpg