Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Changing out old Arlo cameras

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Nodakskip3
Aspirant
Aspirant

My parents have two Arlo cameras that are H7 and are going out of life soon. So we got a new set from Best Buy of the 'Arlo Pro 4 cameras set with charger for batteries VMC4350B-1BYNAS" I am wondering how hard it is to upgrade the set up? Would I just take off the old cameras from my account in the Arlo app, then just install the new ones? And the old ones have a Netgear router/bridge attached to their network with and EERO. Do the new cameras still require the netgear or can I take that off? I think I read that the new cameras no longer need it, but unsure.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nodakskip3 wrote:

And the old ones have a Netgear router/bridge attached to their network 

That's called a base station (two newer models have been rebranded as "smarthubs").

The Pro 4 cameras can connect directly to your home wifi, but a lot of folks have reported problems doing that with Eero.

Connecting to the base might be easier, if the base supports the new cameras.

Look for a VMBxxxx label on the base.

Note the new cameras will require a subscription to get any cloud storage.

@Nodakskip3 wrote:

My parents have two Arlo cameras that are H7 and are going out of life soon. 

FYI, the "H7" is a hardware revision, and not the camera model. Unfortunately many cameras share the same H codes, so it's not very useful here.  You can see the camera model by opening the cameras and removing the batteries - there is a label inside.

@Nodakskip3 wrote:

Would I just take off the old cameras from my account in the Arlo app, then just install the new ones? 

Leave the existing cameras in the account for now - they will continue to work for the foreseeable future, so there is no need to remove them.  Best to make sure the new cameras are working properly first.