Changing networks

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bidge
Follower
Follower

Hi all, just got a couple of arlo essential outdoor cameras and have connected them to my home network with no issues. I'm planning to install them at another location on a different wifi network and I understand that I should be able to use the "change network" option in the app for each camera.

I just wasn't sure how it would work if I'm not immediately connecting to another network (the other location is over an hour away). Would I:

Access the camera at my current place and choose "change network"

Turn off the cameras and then go to the other location (again, an hour away)

Connect my phone to that location's wifi and then... ? Do I treat it as a new pairing (holding down the pair button for 3 seconds, wait till the light blinks, etc)?

Basically just wondering how the app would re-pair the cameras if they've been disconnected and brought to a new location. Maybe it's easy, and I'm just overthinking but wanted to be prepared before I go to the second location tomorrow 🙂

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bidge wrote:

Hi all, just got a couple of arlo essential outdoor cameras and have connected them to my home network with no issues. I'm planning to install them at another location on a different wifi network

I am assuming you want to move all the cameras?  I wouldn't use change network at all for this.

You have four options.

The simplest is to just set up the remote wifi network to use the same network name and password as your home network. 

The second simplest to wait until you are going to the remote location.  Remove the cameras from the account when at home (assuming they are in the account), and when you get to the remote location, add them back.

The third is to remove the cameras from the account, change your home network name and password to match the remote location, and then add the cameras back again.  Then change the network back to its original settings.  If you do this, I recommend keeping the cameras on a charger until you are ready to leave.  They will be looking for the wifi network they should join, and that will drain the power pretty quickly. 

The last option is to set up a second wifi network at your home that matches the remote network, and just keep that running until you are ready to leave.  If you do it this way, then you could use the "Change Network" workflow to move the cameras to the second network.

If you want cameras at both locations, you will likely need to set up both locations in the app.  Unfortunately that will require subscriptions for each location.