Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cannot clear Arlo notification on Android and geofencing for scheduled armed is not working

Discussion stats
bhaverkamp
Tutor
Tutor

arlo is playing notification cannot be cleared. Android 9 on Pixel 2.

Also neither geofencing for scheduled arming work. I have to do it manually. This has been broken for a very long time. Is this ever going to get fixed?

Bernie Haverkamp
NV+ 4410
53 REPLIES 53
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @bhaverkamp,

Could you clarify which notification cannot be cleared? Are you saying you cannot close the notification on your phone that is coming from the Arlo app?

And for geofencing, try to change your radius if it is not detecting anything for scheduled arming. 

bhaverkamp
Tutor
Tutor

The notification says "Front Door is playing" with a paused indicator. It cannot be wiped away. If I swipe right and hold a setting "gear" indicator is shown. Selecting that clears the notification without showing any settings. Anything else and it stays in place. The pause button seems non-functional. Also this seems to happen randomly even when there have been no camera events.

WTR to the geofencing the radius really seems to have no effect. Usually, if I open the app and then use google maps to show my location I can get the geofencing to react but that is even more inconvenient than manually turning it on/off. Same is true for scheduled arming; opening the app will sometimes cause it to arm/disarm but it never does so on it's own. This used to work reasonably well. It's completely broken now.

Bernie Haverkamp
NV+ 4410
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

For the notification, could you share a screenshot so I can see the issue you're experiencing?

For geofencing, do you have power saving settings enabled on your Android? Make sure that you don't force close the app and have it running in the background to ensure the location is working properly.

SierraMike77
Guide
Guide

I am having the exact same problem for the past few days.  Same notification, same symptoms.  Also same phone and operating system - Android Pie and Pixel 2.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @SierraMike77,

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps that was given above? And could you also provide a screenshot so I can take a closer look?

SierraMike77
Guide
Guide

I'm not sure what trouble shooting steps you're referring to, as I didn't see any in the thread.  I've attached the screen shot of the notification that cannot be swiped away, and tapping on the notification does nothing.  (It doesn't open the app, it doesn't pause anything. It just stays there until the phone is reset.  Forcing the Arlo app to quit does not remove the notification.)

SierraMike77
Guide
Guide

If you're referring to the steps you referenced regarding geofencing, that is inapplicable.  I have never used any of the geofencing capability of the system.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Could you let me know how you were able to reproduce this issue where the notification cannot be swiped away so I can try looking into this?

SierraMike77
Guide
Guide

I have two cameras, "front" and "back."  They appear in my arlo app in that order.  If I play the live view of the "back" camera, and press the "home" button my phone without first pausing the camera, I get the notification. 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

I would suggest you contacting our Arlo Support Team so they can further assist you with your notifications not clearing out on your Android phone.

cvan
Guide
Guide

I have the following

Arlo Pro 2

Oneplus6

Android PIe

After the Android Pie update I get the same issue and it is reproduceable everytime. This is what happens

you are viewing your cameras live, if you do anything other than click "pause" (for example press the home or back button) you will get a notification that says "xxxx camera is playing"

there is a pause button next to it

The pause does nothing

if i try to dismiss the app it wont, but it slides to the left slightly revealing more options

a gear (for i assume settings) 

and a clock (for delaying notifications)

if i click the gear the homescreen/launcher crashes (the background goes black) then the phone locks itself as if it has gone to sleep

the notification is cleared after this however

there seem to be no way to stop this particular notification as Arlo seems to only have the ability to turn on all or none notifications

I have provided screen shots

Screenshot_20181008-182828.jpgScreenshot_20181008-182838.jpg

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Giving the heads up that our team is looking into this issue. We will provide an update if we have any information to share regarding this.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those experiencing this issue, could you provide the following information about your Android device:

Android version
Kernel version
Build version

This can be found under Settings > System > About Phone > Tap Android Version

JamesC

nrvous00
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm experiencing the same issue where I cannot clear the "<camera> is playing" notification.

Android version: 9

Kernal Version:4.9.96

Build Number: PD1A.180720.031

Nika2018
Aspirant
Aspirant
Android version 9. Build and kernal version are in the screen clip.
berto210
Tutor
Tutor
Google Pixel 2 XL
Android 9 with October update
Build PPR2.181005.003
berto210
Tutor
Tutor
I just got the updated version of the app today and I am still getting these notifications. I also cleared the app storage and I still cannot get rid of it after I manually play my cameras. If you long hold the notification it will turn my screen black and lock it. Then the notification will go away. Please fix this, it's been around since Android 9 was released in July.
cvan
Guide
Guide
Android version 9
Kernal version 4.9.106-perf+
Build number oneplusa6003_22_180915
BearCherian
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can reproduce this by watching a live feed and pressing the "home" button while it's playing. If I stop playback before exiting, the notification doesn't seem to appear.

If you press and hold the pause button on the notification it causes a crash of some sort which clears the notification and brings you to your lock screen. Not a fix, but a workaround to remove the notification until it's fixed on Pie.

My phone info:
Pixel 3 XL

Android version

Android security patch level
September 5, 2018

Baseband version
g845-00023-180815-B-4956438

Kernel version
4.9.96-g340a9aaf92bc-ab4959234
#0 Thu Aug 16 23:24:20 UTC 2018

Build number
PD1A.180720.030
cvan
Guide
Guide

Question,  does turning off the notification only turn off that particular notification or all notifications?

also i neglected to provide the requested information

Android Version 9

Kernel Version 4.9.106-perf+

#1 Sat Sep 15 01:11:54 CST 2018

Build Number ONEPLUS A6003_22_180915

berto210
Tutor
Tutor

Recieved a new app update today at 1:55PM from the play store, v 2.6.1_22700.  It appears this update still has not fixed the ongoing issue with the notification getting stuck on the screen and having to hold the notification the lock the screen and clear it.

Can we please get an update on to when this issue will be fixed and how has it been missed for 3 months?

berto210
Tutor
Tutor
Got a new update for the app today. No fixes on this issue. I still get the notification stuck on my screen and turns my screen black when I click pause. What's the deal here? How is this so hard to fix? Can someone at Arlo please respond to this thread?
meeka
Initiate
Initiate

I have a Pixel 2 Xl and can not delete the push notification "back porch is playing."

I can not wipe to the right and delete like other notifications.  The only way to delete it is to restart my phone.

Any suggestions.

I have version 2.6.1_22700 which was released on 10/23/18

I just installed the system yesterday.

Thanks for any assistance.  It is annoying to see the notification.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can you swipe right, use the gear icon and mute?