Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
duqu
Guide
Guide
I have tried everything I have seen in these forums. Resetting, resynching, making sure everything is properly setup (including double checking the settings,) making sure the sensors are working, battery levels, etc. and nothing gets these cameras to record when they sense motion.

I basically have $1000 in battery operated paperweights that worked perfectly until early November (haven't had time to troubleshoot this until the last two days) then they stopped recording.
30 REPLIES 30
JohnnyFRX
Luminary
Luminary

By resetting, do you mean just a hard reboot or restoring to factory default?

If you are up for the effort, you may want to try and start from scratch if you haven't already:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-base-station-to-the-def...

duqu
Guide
Guide
I'm sure I've done this but I've never seen the "New System Setup". Thanks, I will try this again shortly. Need to reset myself first, I'm frustrated...
JohnnyFRX
Luminary
Luminary

Coolness. Keep us posted!

duqu
Guide
Guide
Did not work. "new system setup" is not an option that is available. there is a "new to Arlo?" that goes through the setup.

Everything is setup properly. The cameras will not record, the firmware will not update as well. We can see about checking this in the AM, to see if the firmware will update. But that said, it was working perfectly then one day it stopped. No changes, it just quit.

I'm about to start badmouthing everything Arlo & Netgear. This is completely unacceptable!!!
duqu
Guide
Guide
I'm not sure why the "success" banner showed up. This is a total FAILURE!!!
duqu
Guide
Guide
Why is there not a way to force firmware updates? Why is there not another way to force firmware updates?
JohnnyFRX
Luminary
Luminary

I have seen that question raised a bazillion times on this site...the default answer is..."It should update overnight".

duqu
Guide
Guide
and yet it never updates overnight. WTF is going on?
JohnnyFRX
Luminary
Luminary

I'm not sure if you've seen this thread or is still valid for the system that you have...take a look:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-update-my-Arlo-firmware-manually/ta-p/...

duqu
Guide
Guide
Thanks, I've seen that. The only thing I get is "no updates available" but I am clearly on an older (1.2) firmware.
duqu
Guide
Guide
looks like this is a bandwidth issue. my xbox one s can download a 47GB file but my arlo base won't download a 50mb firmware update. and guess what? Netgear will not help me out. In warranty and they can't so they will not offer a solution. I was just told I was S.O.L. So it's off to Craigslist for me now.... $1500 down the toilet.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

duqu,

Some users have had issues getting firmware updates due to poor internet connections. Who is your ISP and what are your download/upload speeds?

JamesC

duqu
Guide
Guide
I have centurylink DSL, I'm rural. Upload is 700k, download is 1.5mb. I can watch live video just fine, here at home or on the road. No issues with bandwidth from home. The firmware updates worked fine until Netgear unilaterally changed the requirements AFTER I had purchased the camera/base package. This is not the issue, the updates worked just fine up until this latest one. I have had zero problems updating any of my other firmware (DirecTV, Xbox, iPhone, iPad) just with Netgear AND they are not doing anything to fix this. There are A LOT of customers with this issue. Just like with Samsung and their battery issues, this will end up biting Netgear in the butt.
duqu
Guide
Guide
apologies. I forgot to thank you for your help. manners... 😉
duqu
Guide
Guide
Ok, I have called in and this has been taken over by a level 2 support guy and it will keep moving up the food chain. They are sending me a replacement base and will work on this issue for the future.

THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE RURAL INTERNET ACCESS:
My DirecTV receiver, three laptops, two routers (Netgear, by the way) Xbox one s, iPad, iPhone, surface pro 4... ALL OF THESE CAN UPDATE FIRMWARE ON MY INTERNET CONNECTION SPEED. ARLO/NETGEAR SHOULD WORK TO ENSURE THESE FIRMWARE UPDATES GO THROUGH. THEIR EXCUSE FOR THE CUSTOMER NEEDED 1MB "UPLOAD" SPEED TO DOWNLOAD THE FIRMWARE IS NOT RELEVANT!! DOWNLOAD SPEED IS IMPORTANT, NOT UPLOAD!! THIS IS WHERE THE NETGEAR ENGINEERS ARE GETTING THIS WRONG!!! CUSTOMERS DOWNLOAD THE FIRMWARE UPDATE, CUSTOMERS DO NOT UPLOAD THE UPDATES!!!

If all my other devices can update their firmware on my connection, the arlo system can as well. FIX THIS ISSUE NETGEAR - THIS IS THE SECURITY INDUSTRY, NOT NETWORKING. THIS IS A NEW INDUSTRY FOR YOU. FIX THIS OR GET OUT OF THE SECURITY BUSINESS!!!
duqu
Guide
Guide

Netgear has stopped doing anything to help me. They are lying and saying a replacement unit is being sent, FedEx has NO RECORD of them trying to ship anything. 

I have an RMA number, I even have a FedEx tracking number and nothing is being done about this. Two days of phone calls and all anyone wants to do is review things and not tell me where my replacement base unit is.

duqu
Guide
Guide

oh, and JamesC, don't bother replying. You don't know anymore than any of your fellow employees. Netgear is trying to sell this part of their business, zero efforts will be done to make your job supporting products that don't work easier. You will not be able to tell me anything because your company is not putting any effort into resolving this issue. Nothing. So save your time, go browse the web for a new job because this one will be gone soon. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

duqu,

I have reviewed your case and can verify that an RMA has been issued. Please refer to your open case for any additional information.

JamesC

duqu
Guide
Guide
I appreciate your efforts James. I have the RMA but they won't ship the replacement. Took my credit card info but no one will ship it.
Murtaugh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've done the start from scratch.  Same problem after 2 hours of work and all new batteries.  What a mess.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Murtaugh,

Some users have had trouble downloading the firmware updates due to poor internet speeds (below the required 1mb upload).

Who is your ISP and what are your download/upload speeds?

JamesC

duqu
Guide
Guide
James - the 1mb upload speed is NOT NEEDED FOR THE FIRMWARE UPDATE!!!

It is the users DOWNLOAD speed that is a factor because the user DOWNLOADS the firmware update and DO NOT NEED TO UPLOAD ANYTHING FOR THE FIRMWARE UPDATE TO COMPLETE!!! The firmware update is download, not upload dependent!!!

STOP WITH THAT NONSENSE!!!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

duqu,

To add clarification, yes download speed is the major factor here. My request above offers clues as to the quality of the internet connection, which provides insight as to why the issue may be occurring. Poor internet speeds can cause the firmware download to take too long resulting in a failure to complete.

JamesC

Murtaugh
Aspirant
Aspirant

So f the cause of why the Arlo System no longer works is my download speed on my internet connection, and I cannot change that, then how do I fix the problem? Do I bring the box to someone elses house and plug it in for a week and hope the firmware updates? I presume it needs to be hardwired to their modem? Is this the only "answer" that might work?

If I have to do that it would be nice to have very clear instructions so I don't have to try every possible option I can think of.

Or can I mail the system back to Netgear and they set the firmware up so the system works?

Murtaugh