Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras randomly go offline.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Dood
Apprentice
Apprentice

A camera appeared offline, which happens every so often, so I restarted the base station. Then a different camera was offline. I repeated this probably ten times now and there is always at least one offline camera (out of the five in the system). 

I've waited many minutes after restarting to see if a camera was just slow to respond for some reason but even after five minutes, at least one camera is always offline.

I've also done a hard reset of the base station with the same results. This is not a low battery issue as the offline camera(s) is somewhat random.

9 REPLIES 9
Scott2ya
Luminary
Luminary
That's weird. Last time one of my cameras did that, I popped the battery out and back in, been going strong since...... No wait a minute, I've got a different camera offline..... Hmm. Guess I'll pop the battery out again and cross my fingers.
Dood
Apprentice
Apprentice

I brought it indoors, opened the lid, closed the lid, and the unit reconnected just fine. I waited 20 minutes, placed it outdoors, at an in-range location where it has worked before and closer than other units that work just fine, and it is once again offline. 

When indoors, the batteries (as per the Arlo connection page) registered 80%+.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There may be some device using the 2.4GHz band near the base causing this. Try repositioning the base as much as possible to see if that helps. Check your firmware versions on all devices and compare them to what's posted in the Release notes section here to ensure they're up to date.

Dood
Apprentice
Apprentice

I assume you mean I should place the base as "close" as possible (rather than as "much" as possible). I did that though, as stated above, and it worked fine, until I brought it outdoors.

I brought it back in and I'm now guessing there may have been some moisture in there. It was around 17° this morning. I brought it indoors, removed the batteries, wiped down what I could, blew some air in and left it open for a few hours. Reassembled and placed outdoors a few hours ago and it seems to be working again. 

So far so good and hopefully this resolves the issue.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I had a camera that went offline and wouldn't stay online. At one point it wouldn't even sync. I moved my base station a few feet further away from my wifi router and it's been rock solid since then

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Hence my "much".  🙂

Skorp
Aspirant
Aspirant

My three cameras have been offline for 23 hours now and haven't gone "online". Tried everything and moved the base station and nothing. The battery are fully charged. Took one down and sync it with the camera right by the base station but it didn't work. The cameras randomly come on not by movement, but randomly, but lasts for 4 seconds and then its gone. Not sure what that would mean.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Skorp, do they stay online when you use the web interface arlo.netgear.com from your computer browser?

brh
Master
Master

@Skorp

Please let us know which camera system you are using: Original HD, Pro or Pro2.

Starting from left to right what are the LEDs on the base station showing?

You might have to power cycle your system. Here is the link explaining what to do:

https://kb.arlo.com/996/My-Arlo-base-station-is-offline-how-can-I-troubleshoot-it

If that doesn't work you might need to do a factory reset. Here are the instructions to do that:

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-base-station-to-the-default-values

If neither of these work, contact Support at the link below on this page..

Brian