Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
vint83
Guide
Guide

I noticed an weird bug. 

Camera senses motion even when Turned OFF.

Steps:

1. Set mode to "Armed"

2. Go to "Settings" -> My devices -> Pick any camera -> Toggle OFF "Camera ON/OFF" switch.

3. Confirmed that "This camera is currently disabled..." on Cameras screen.

Now if I walk in front of the camera i can see Infrared LEDs turn on for ~10 seconds.. Apparently camera is still somehow armed to sense the motion (even though is Inactive, turned OFF). But no events are generated and no video captured. 

It doesn't really affect anything except it can drain batteries much faster. (and my wife thought someone is watching us)

Also if camera is Disarmed first then turned OFF - bug is not reproducible.

Expected:

If camera is Inactive/Turned OFF, motion/Nightvision should be completely disabled to save the battery.

I confirmed with my friend who also has Arlo System and he can reproduce as well.

(p.s. It also affects freshly released SmartThings integration where camera can't be Armed/Disarmed but only turned ON and OFF)

@JamesC are you aware of this bug? Could you please escalate? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
vint83
Guide
Guide

I think it got fixed with hub FW 1.8.1_9169.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

vint83,

Thank you for the detailed post. I see the same behavior that you describe above and this has already been escalated to the engineering team for review. I will post again once I have more information.

JamesC

vint83
Guide
Guide

@JamesC,

Hi,

any updates on this?

byakymyk
Aspirant
Aspirant
I too am anxious for this fix
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

vint83,

I apologize for the lack of followup. I have requested an update on this issue. I have no new information at this time but I will post an update here as soon as I can.

JamesC

vint83
Guide
Guide

I am so so glad I have rechargable batteries. One of my cams is located in busy area and with this bug bateries last less than 2 weeks (prior to that for ~3-4 months).

I know I can switch back to using Modes instead of keeping all cams on Armed(ST) mode and switching individual cams ON and OFF, but that will break my long anticipated SmartThings integration.

Hopefully Netgear team can fix it asap. 

vint83
Guide
Guide

@JamesC just FYI. Bug is still reproducible with Base Station FW 1.7.8_7427 and Camera FW 1.2.7730 updates. 

byakymyk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too have comfirmed that this still exist with the new Router and Camera firmware.

Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm also seeing the same behavior which is rendering the new Smartthings integration borderline useless due to depleting battery life. Any update or ETA on a fix or workaround?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Manole831,

I do not have an update or ETA at this time. This topic has been escalated to the engineering team and I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Jrent1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I encountered the same problem. How will I know when the fix is available. I too am anxious to receive the fix.
vint83
Guide
Guide

I think it got fixed with hub FW 1.8.1_9169.

Thank you.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can confirm the fix with the new firmware.