Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera only records for 1 second, when I had it set for the 10 second default.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JB-Arlo5Camera
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo camera failed me both times I needed it. 

When someone isn’t in the center of the camera picture (i.e. they’re in the periphery) the Camera only records for 1 second.  I had it set for the 10 second default.  I called Arlo and they told me that they issue maybe my internet connection, but that they weren’t sure and couldn’t help me.  My internet is hardwired and 300mbs.  I never have internet problems.  They also said that my cameras are 14 months old, so they are out of warranty (which is 12 months) and so even if there is a problem, it isn’t there responsibility.

Someone stole our Halloween decorations and then on a different night someone threw my pumpkins from my front porch.  Both times Arlo only recorded 1 second of time and so I couldn’t identify the person who did this.  Arlo sucks!  

Any Idea how to fix this?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Short videos are likely due to either/or 1) low batteries and 2) poor WiFi connection, including distance, walls, wireless interference, etc. You mention Internet speed, too, but be aware that only the upload speed is the issue. Since you have an apparent 300Mbs download speed, I'd think your upload speed is well above the minimum of 1Mbs but it's worth checking using speedtest.net.

You can try moving the base closer to the cameras and see if that works better.
JB-Arlo5Camera
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response!  However, the Arlo unit is showing full bars at all time and is ~15 feet from the base station.  So that isn't the issue.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try power cycling the base and open and close battery doors. You may need to try removingnthe cameras in Settings, My Devices and resync them. Worst case, remove everything i in Settings, My Devices, add the base back in and sync the cameras - basically start fresh.