Camera off line 1/4

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Joel0508
Follower
Follower
Please help, one of my four cameras is showing off line. I just bought this set up about a week and a half ago and it's been working fine until now. I tried remotely resetting the base station and it didn't help. I'm curremtly unable to physically troubleshoot the system at home because I'm away from home and out of state which is the reason for purchasing this product. Any suggestion on how to get my camera back on line remotely?
5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Joel508,

There are a few reasons that could cause a camera to drop offline. If the camera is too far from the base station or there is interference from other wireless devices, this could be the reason the camera has gone offline. Be sure the camera has a good connection with the base station. Bring the offline camera close to the base station and power cycle it by opening and closing the battery compartment door. Take note of the LED behavior on the camera. If the camera is still offline, replace the batteries with a fresh set to further isolate the issue.

JamesC

bh5869
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo cameras are totally unreliable. It's almost a full time job to keep my four cameras working. Either they're off line for some unknown reason or the batteries have to constantly be replaced. I've rebooted my wifi routers and the base station numerous times to no benefit. Bought a Netgear AC1200 wifi booster to no benefit. Wish I'd done more research on reliability of the Arlo cameras before investing so much time and money.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bh5869,

Battery drain and offline cameras are both symptoms of an issue with poor WiFi signal strength. This could be due to interference or range.

What does the WiFi signal strength indicator show for the affected cameras? How far from the base station are you cameras? It may help to relocate the base station closer to the cameras to alleviate possible range issues.

JamesC

bh5869
Aspirant
Aspirant
That's why I put the Netgear AC1200 twenty feet from the camera. Shouldn't that have solved the problem? What's the range on that wifi extender?
There's also an Apple router that's 30 feet away.
It's so very frustrating
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bh5869,

The WiFi extender will not boost signal from the base station to the cameras.

You must physically move the base station closer to the cameras to improve signal strength.

This can be done with an extender by plugging the base station into the extender to allow it to be closer to your cameras.

For more information on this type of setup, see here: How can I increase the range of my Arlo Smart Home Security system?

JamesC