Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
alb81044
Guide
Guide

HW 7, Firmware 1.3.314 Camera loses connection to base station. Has new batteries. I have 3 cameras, the other two work fine. This camera is actually the closest to the base station. The camera is in Northern Michigan, relatively protected area.

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It can be various things such as the house construction, things in/on the walls between the base and camera, 2.4GHz interference near the camera, etc. An easy test is to swap cameras around to see if it's the camera or location.

Abbotscorner
Initiate
Initiate
I’m having the same problem. I’ve swapped cameras so it’s not the location...it’s ok for a short time when I reboot or reset, then goes offline...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
gcytek
Initiate
Initiate

Every so often, I would have this same issue. I've had 4 Arlo wirefree cameras for a couple of years now. Every so often, this happens to me and I have to keep restarting the base station to try and get them reconnected. I have 2 cameras for each base station. They are on opposites of the house and the base stations are as far as it can get from my main wireless router in the center of the house.

By the way, I don't see an option to open a case with Support. It was either to check the knowledgebase, ask the community or live chat. So I did a live chat and got Karl S as my rep. He was very thorough in troubleshooting this issue for me. My layout and setup was not the issue as it does not happen all the time. He suggested checking the wifi channels used in the area as that could be the issue.

It's random on which of my cameras would go offline. If one camera is offline on one base station, I would restart that base station. After that, it may flip and the other camera would now be offline while the one that was offline is now connected. I would just keep restarting the base station until all cameras get reconnected.

I think it's a failing in the part of the arlo camera in that it doesn't attempt to reconnect itself to the base station. There should be programming to check if it's connected and if not, to attempt to reconnect itself. I have both Arlo and Ring products. I never have these issues with Ring.

alb81044
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the comments.  Of interest, this afternoon the camera came back on spontaneously.  First time that has happened.  The camera has been going off all winter.  we would reset periodically.   It is 250 miles from home in Northern Michigan, so can't get to it easily.  We'll see.

Abbotscorner
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for posting both.  I had read that there have been some problems at Arlo’s end, so I’ve been waiting to see if anything improved.  I’ve fried rebooting the base station again, with no luck.  I may have another go at removing and re-adding the camera, but it seems to connect ok, it just goes offline again within minutes....  

Call me an old cynic, but I don’t think it’s a troubleshooting issue - clearly there is something wrong that the “standard” steps are unlikely to fix, as I’ve already taken those steps.  I was looking for some common experiences from the community, really, although any tech help would be welcome.  The system, which wasn’t new, has worked satisfactorily since xmas...this is the first real issue we’ve had. 😞

alb81044
Guide
Guide

Good luck.  I've had my system for over a year, and this issue is in the last few months.  Some of the posts seem to indicate it is an issue on Arlo's end?

kpsas
Initiate
Initiate

I went through one marathon troubleshooting round and another 30 minute follow up with the Arlo Tech Support, both of which arrived at the same conclusion - that the base station is  "out of warranty", also  known as "the hardware/firmware no longer works". I dont understand how this can be outdated in such a short period of time, with no recourse from Arlo other than to go out and purchase another base station.  Netgear  hardware which I have used for many many years, (routers, switches, wifi range extenders, etc) allows for updating and using their other devices for YEARS without this kind of nonsense.

After I asked the technician if they think its right for me to spend close to a thousand dollars on this equipment to be told "just go buy a new base station because your one year warranty is up", all he could tell me was sorry. I asked for a manager and he said the manager was busy. I told him fine, I will wait, then he placed me on hold for about 5-10 minutes, came back and told me the manager left for the day. So its no worries getting Sales or a reseller to take your $1K to get the product, its just too bad when it fails to deliver in under 2 years. Just go buy a new base station.

I am extremely disappointed in the Arlo product and have been unable to get any one in management to address my concerns with the faulty sub par equipment being sold. 

alb81044
Guide
Guide

Sorry you had that experience.  Doesn't sound like the Netgear I know.  Was the agent from North America?  I always insist on one.  Best advice I can give you is to summarize your issue as well as their reply and send a letter to their customer service department.

In my own case, the unit suddenly started working again on its own.  I'm 250 miles away.  I still think the issue was on Arlo's end.  Good luck.

NickDi
Apprentice
Apprentice

See this thread.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Arlo-Pro-2-every-night-changes-time-zone/td-p/1692637/highl...

Arlo is having base station issues due to a bad firmware update.  It was thought to be a Timezone reset to default Pacific issue... but has been found to be a base station issue. The base station goes into a funky state with no internet access, and camera's stop recording for periods of time, sometimes more than an hour.  It happens 1-5 times a day. When the base station restarts some settings default back to defaul settings.

Open a case with support and make sure they know you are having the issue also.

djflexure
Initiate
Initiate

I have had exactly this issue. Cameras arbitrarily drop their connection (Pro 2) and are offline. Basestation appears to. be online. Sometimes cameras will reappear as if by magic. I have all three of them in fornt of me now. After an hour or two of faffing I eventually got them all to reconnect. This lasted 5 minutes. Now they are all next to the basestation with no connection. Product is faulty IMO. Would not buy again.