Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JorgenStaal
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a 1 month old 4-camera Arlo system. One of the 4 Cameras eat the batteries within 2-3 days. After Three days the camera goes offline and cannot be activated. I tried to replace all four batteries 3 times, but the problem keeps repeating. I tried to reposition the camera, but it did not work also. It is clearly not a usage problem as the camera is inactive (not in motion detect mode).

What to do except get a warranty replacement?

As I am located in Thailand, I don't know how to obtain a replacement.

Is there a distributor in Thailand/Bangkok where I could get a new Camera?

Regards,

Jorgen Staal.

9 REPLIES 9
Misterted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Try setting the resolution to the lowest setting.

i had the same problem and it helped me.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
Try leaving the batteries out for a while, maybe a day. Happened to me too, I heard constant clicking from the camera. After I left batteries out for several days, the camera behaved normally again.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The closest official support number to you is Australia:

Australia contact information:

(+61) 1300 361 254

Don't know that they can help you.  Use the Support link at the top of these pages and then Contact Support.  You can find various methods to contact support, including chat and email.  If you can't get it going, create a trouble ticket for possible RMA.

JorgenStaal
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello all parties trying to help me on this issue,

Have tried all given suggestions, including applying "best battery performance/low video quality" setting, leaving out batteries for 24 hours. Also, do note that i have only been operating the system in "Disarmed" mode without any motion detection enabled.

After installing the 4th set of fresh batteries, again batteries are emptied after 2-3 days and this particular camera goes offline. All other cameras are OK (I have 8 in total).

I only see one solution: Warranty replacement!

Agreed?

Best regards,

Jorgen Staal

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not yet.  Rapid depletion like that may well mean the cameras are having trouble staying in communication with the base.  This can be due to range (don't forget that walls, ceilings, wiring, ductwork, etc. gets in there as well as raw distance) or from other 2.4GHz wirless devices in the area.  You could test this by placing one or more cameras near the base and see what battery life is, using a WiFi finder app on a laptop or mobile device as well as finding and moving cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc. away from any any Arlo device, or repositioning the base to a different place by temporarily using a long Ethernet cable or WiFi extender.  Sometimes just rotating the base can help although if you have multiple cameras doing the same thing that doesn't seem to be likely.

It could also be a bad base which has a weak/garbled signal but you should be able to detect at least signal strength via the aforementioned WiFi app.

JorgenStaal
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello jguerdat,

Thank you for yet one more good set of suggestions. I am happy with the Arlo Community fantastic responsiveness.

Here is the actual situation with the camera:

The camera is placed in the same room as the base station, at 3 meter distance (no barriers). The cameras are all in "Disarmed" mode, no motion detection. After new batteries are mounted, the camera works normally for about 3 days. Then the batteries are depleted and the camera go offline.

Other 3 cameras on the same base station, which are placed in other rooms at distance >30 meter and bounded by 2 sets of walls are working fine and have been running >1 month on their batteries - and these batteries still show almost full capacity.

Further, the problem with the paticular camera started after initial 2 weeks of good operation. Also let me add that the camera has not been exposed to any harsh treatment. it is placed indoor in 25 degree celcius same as the other cameras on the base station.

Thus, I do believe I have a bad Camera that should be replaced.

Do you agree?

Best/

Jorgen Staal

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

That doesn't sound right.

If the camera is not emitting a continual clicking sound, like I reported previously in this thread, which caused my camera to run the batteries down very quickly, I'd say you should qualify for an exchange.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

+1. You could try swapping cameras around, using that one bad one in a known good location to verify the problem stays with the camera, not the location.

JorgenStaal
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks,

I will try this one as a last resort,

I insert new batteries and swap two cameras.

I can conclude after: let's give it one week.

Regards,

Jorgen