Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Best Positioning to stop “false” notifications with Arlo

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Sammi-76
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can anyone please help?
I am new to the Arlo range and have purchased 3 wireless cameras. I have them positioned around the house externally and 2 of the 3 are working really well. We have a long drive and of an evening have 5 vehicles parked up to wanted one to cover the drive. However as the attached upload shows, the camera position is covering the area required but I get notifications every few minutes as we’re on a main road, the camera does not detect anyone or any of the vehicles coming on or off the drive but does seem to detect traffic passing on the main road which is about 40-50!ft from the camera??? I have tried 2 different locations, one just about height of bedroom window looking across the drive and currently it’s looking down the drive above a bedroom window.
Advise please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First , no upload pic is showing...

Second, remember theat the PIR detects best at about 45d angle to the motion over straight on.  The traffic from the road is prob more reflection of IR off the moving vehicles.

Max range for people is aprox 25ft, so try not to cover more area than the camera can detect people.

Placement and sense levels are both equally important.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First , no upload pic is showing...

Second, remember theat the PIR detects best at about 45d angle to the motion over straight on.  The traffic from the road is prob more reflection of IR off the moving vehicles.

Max range for people is aprox 25ft, so try not to cover more area than the camera can detect people.

Placement and sense levels are both equally important.

Sammi-76
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sorry... it didn’t upload the video and won’t allow me to upload a photo on my phone.
So do you mean I have the camera too high and therefore if I bring it lower it would also give a better detection?
Thank you
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sammi-76 wrote:
Sorry... it didn’t upload the video and won’t allow me to upload a photo on my phone.
So do you mean I have the camera too high and therefore if I bring it lower it would also give a better detection?
Thank you

Not necess to high, but placement is important...  If possible, eliminate the roadway traffic while aiming the camera at an angle to the driveway.  This can eliminate a lot of false triggers.

After you find a good location, sense level should be adjusted slowly a percent or two at a time , then test.