Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Best Camera for low internet speeds

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
rancherkyle
Aspirant
Aspirant

If I am dealing with lower internet speeds in a rual area, is the 720p Arlo Pro camera better chioce than Arlo Pro 2 which is 1080i?? Or does that mater on the video transmission?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rancherkyle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Its at a weekend house and I have not been back to test again but will this weekend. I will do a speed test to see what it actually is. I can always lower the res on the camera and possibly record to usb or turn off record all together to save upload resources. Live view is the most important to me at this point, not record.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't mention your speed for upload....

You need a min of 1Mbs upload for any of the Arlo cameras to work.

As an answer, yes the 1080 requires more data than the 720... tho on the cameras you can lower the rez.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
rancherkyle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Its HughesNet satilite and suppose to be 25mbps down and 3mbps up but not guarnteed. I suppose it could drop below 1mbps at times but generally should be above that. Bigest issue I have seen on other applications is a large ping time due to the satilite. I just figured any image is better than no image so i figured a lower res may help be more effecient with badwidth but didnt know for sure.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

you can always test with this ...  https://www.speedtest.net/

Also with the Pro or Pro2 system, you can run a usb stick as a backup  ( with the model 4000 base )... it will record to the usb while also sending to the internet, ( tho not directly accessable unless it is pulled and inserted inot computer )

Morse is faster than texting!
rancherkyle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Its at a weekend house and I have not been back to test again but will this weekend. I will do a speed test to see what it actually is. I can always lower the res on the camera and possibly record to usb or turn off record all together to save upload resources. Live view is the most important to me at this point, not record.