Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

What's the deal with the battery level indication in the Arlo software? It will slowing drop to 65-70% (or sometimes even higher), and then drop instantly to <5% and indicate that the batteries are dead. I've been running nine Arlo cameras in two different locations for over a year, and I'm seeing this consistent behaviour on all of them. Multiple times I've had batteries showing full bars on the graphical display die the next day with an email warning that they were below 5% strength. The batteries are fine, and then instantly they are dead. One of my locations is remote and battery replacement is a huge problem, and I'm getting really fed up with the lack of notice on battery failure. I'm using good quality brand name batteries, so I don't accept that this is a battery quality issue. Surely this is a fixable problem -- please work on this! 

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What version of SW are you running on cameras and base?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

Online app is version 2.2.1.785_14976, dated 11/9/16.

Mobile app is version 2.2.3_15049, dated 11/15/16.

Cameras are all hardware version H7, firmware 1.2.7730.

Base units are both hardware version VMB3010r2, firmware 1.8.1_9169.

I've seen this behaviour over several battery cycles, so it's possible (probable) that some of those experiences were on earlier versions of software or firmware.

Examples:

1. Remote location. A week ago I checked all cameras, and all were over 90%. Two days ago I checked again, and one of the cameras had dropped into the 80% range (I don't remember the exact %, but the battery icon was showing slightly below full). Yesterday afternoon, I got an email notice that the batteries were "tired" in that camera, and the battery strength at that point was 4% (strong to dead in 24 hours). I believe those batteries were Streamlight brand, although I've now switched to Panasonic at that location.

2. Home location. One camera with the oldest batteries has been showing a slight decline, most recently (yesterday) at 68%. This morning it's at 23%. I believe that's the first time I've ever seen a "mid-range" value -- before it's dropped almost immediately from 60%+ to less than 10%. But it's still not a gradual drop.

I realize that a battery failure can cause this kind of behaviour, but I've seen it over so many battery cycles and with at least four different battery brands (SureFire, Panasonic, Streamlight, and Energizer) that I believe there is an issue with how the percentage is calculated.

I'd like to see two things:

- A percentage that more accurately represents "remaining life."

- An earlier email warning, ideally when there is a week or two of remaining life.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I have seen it drop like a rock after hitting in the 40% range for me for OEM primary cells.

( btw, we are talking OEM cells , not rechargeables? )

All I can say is def put in a trouble ticket... falls under the area of more complaints = faster fix

Morse is faster than texting!
jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks. Yes, I'm using standard OEM batteries, not rechargeables.I might give rechargeables a try at my home where I'm available to change batteries more often, but at the remote location I need the longest life I can get since I have no good way of changing batteries.