Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Battery Drains due to Router down

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

I thought this might be the case when reading a few posts about Arlo Camera's suddenly draining, but now I've seen it happen.

Theory:

- When your Router (that the Arlo Base station plugs into)  becomes unavailable....the Arlo cameras go into some mode that just drains the batteries in days.

What I saw happen:

- I received a new router, and put it in place, however I left the Arlo base station unattached to it.     In other words....the arlo base station was turned on, the arlo cameras were turned on, but the ethernet plug was not longer plugged in.  (I was waiting for a new switch to arrive).  Within just a few days, the Arlo Cameras went from Full battery to 3% (this is what they were when I plugged the Arlo Station back into my new router).

I don't see why the Arlo cameras should have a negative battery impact by the Router/LAN being down.  They can still talk to the Arlo Base Station, which should know the network is unavailabe, and not to freak out.

Hope this makes sense...and it's something the Arlo team can test/validate and change.

PS.  In hindsight I would turn the cameras off during this extended LAN outage...but I didn' think it would kill the batteries at the time.

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, I have notice the battery drains faster when the base is off...Its the camera is trying harder to reconnect using more power to do so.

But in the last two plus years , I have not seen it happen due to Internet being down.  When the base has power the camera ( its dumb) has no way of knowing, the camera still sees the base and is happy in its own world.

Cant say why you saw what your saying, it's just my knowledge that it shouldn't happen.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------