Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Battery Discharge

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
sh777
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All,

Over the last few months I have been having issue with my Arlo Camera, whereby the battery would only last less than 3 weeks. These are Panasonic batteries and they are not rechargeable. I would have about 93% life, then suddenly overnight it would drop to 4%. I tend to have less than 1min of recording per day. I used to get 6month life from the batteries but now its just terrible. I am now looking to buy rechargeable instead since its becoming too expensive.

I don’t do live streaming and less than 1min of recording per day, so its not used a lot. The camera is placed outside.

Does anyone have ideas on why the battery is discharging so quickly?

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like you only have one camera - if you have more, swap them around to see if it's the camera or the location causing the problem. If just the one camera, try moving it temporarily to a different, closer location relative to the base.

Since you're seeing a big, sudden drop, I would try removing the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync. Verify that all firmware is up to date since old firmware causes weird issues. If still a problem, open a case with support here.

sh777
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Jguerdat, Thanks for the info. I do have two camera, once in the front and another at the back of the house.

I will try swapping them around. Thanks for the advice.

jguerdat wrote:

Sounds like you only have one camera - if you have more, swap them around to see if it's the camera or the location causing the problem. If just the one camera, try moving it temporarily to a different, closer location relative to the base.

Since you're seeing a big, sudden drop, I would try removing the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync. Verify that all firmware is up to date since old firmware causes weird issues. If still a problem, open a case with support here.

Cargo1222
Aspirant
Aspirant
You get three weeks. I am lucky to get 3 days. Brand New Duracell and Energizer lithium ion batteries which are not cheap
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cargo1222,

How much usage do your cameras see? How much time do you spend live viewing?

JamesC

Cargo1222
Aspirant
Aspirant

I hardly ever live stream and if I do it is for a few seconds.  Mostly I just login to the app to see the battery state.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cargo1222,

How many clips are the cameras recording per day? Take a look here for information on expected battery life based on recording time: How long do Arlo camera batteries last?

JamesC

Cargo1222
Aspirant
Aspirant

Recorded no clips, batteries lasting 3 to 5 days

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cargo1222,

This is definitely not typical behavior. I recommend that you contact the Arlo Support Team and open a case. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link: Arlo Support Team

JamesC

Cargo1222
Aspirant
Aspirant
Everytime you click support it just takes you to forum
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can just use the link in the post above yours or use the Contact Support link at the bottom here.