Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Batteries drain when internet is down

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
juanmorelli
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had original batteries with only 10 days of lite use. I went away for the weekend and inadvertently turned off the Internet router. When I came back 2 days later, all my batteries where drained. Barely any charge left.
6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Haven't heard of that one since the cameras only connect to the base. Interference with that signal can cause the batteries to die quickly due to continually trying to connect to the base. If you mean you turned off the base, not the router, that would explain it - not connecting with the base so continually trying.

juanmorelli
Aspirant
Aspirant
It was the router that was off. The base was on.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd a thunk that would have been to e but haven't had a lengthy Internet loss to notice. Maybe support could answer that.

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Netgear please produce an Arlo battery backup notification and wifi failure notification with remote operation, Panasonic do for their camera system.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TBMK, if the base is active, the camera is happy and doesn't know anything about the internet access.... the cams only talk to the base and if the base is on, all is well.

The only thing I can think of, is if the cams were detecting motion and transmits same to base along with some sort of glitch.

( the base off would easily explain it )

@JamesC .. got any idea?.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TomMac,

As you say, even without an internet connection, the cameras will still communicate with the base.

I have not specifically tested to see if a base station with synced cameras and no internet connection results in faster than expected battery drain. I am inclined to think that in the above scenario described by the OP, there may have been some other source of interference that caused the batteries to drain.

I will forward this question on for further clarification.

JamesC