Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station will not connect to internet

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Jester646
Tutor
Tutor

Brand New out of the box and will not connect to the internet,  I have been reading all of the "closed" threads and tried everything posted there.  New cable, red reset, etc....  This is BS  Does anyone know how to get this working without wasting a bunch more of my time.  Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jester646
Tutor
Tutor

Actually you don't know what your talking about!  I found the solution to the problem.  I put all the cameras, base station and all the other crap back in their little bags and packed them nicely in the original box and returned them to the store.  I bought another Arlo/Netgear set of cameras from another store.  Came home hooked them up and within 15 minutes I had the whole system up and running.  The original base station was defective!  Never overlook the obvious.

As I stated in the original post.  Don't waste my time.  Your answers were not helpfull in anyway and told me nothing more than what I had already read.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

We can if you give us details. What do you see, especially the LEDs on the base? What have you tried? Do you get errors? Have you read the directions that came with the system and maybe checked the videos and FAQs here?

Jester646
Tutor
Tutor

The only error I get is that on my phone or on the computer the base station cannot be found.  Green power light , amber internet light and amber sync light.  I have reset the base station by pressing the small red button with a paperclip.  I have reset the base station while holding the sync button (Idon't think that did anything?).  I have replaced the internet cable that came with the base station with a known good internet cable.  I have reset my cable modem several times.  I have gone to the IP address for the cable modem and the base station is visible on the network, verified by the MAC address.  

I have read every post I could find, both on Arlo/Netgear and google.  I have watched numerous videos on Arlo/Netgear and Youtube.  All of which keep saying to do all of the steps I have listed above. 

I am at a total loss.  Really sucks that I have spent at least 6 hours working on something that is supposed to be "plug and play".  I may not be the most computer savvy guy around, but I do have enough knowledge to hook this up if would work the way the instructions say it should.

If you are reading this last line, this means you have read the complete post and not skimmed the first few lines and assume you know it all.  Thank you

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yer welcome.

You might want to check the FAQs here for what the LED colors mean. For starters, you need both the power and Internet LEDs to be green or nothing is going to work. As you note, the router is in contact with the router - the amber LED means that the base has an IP address but is not in contact with the servers. That's usually an issue with the router. Assuming this is at home and not at a business (IT frequently blocks access to Arlo and other sites), it may be possible to make it work by simply rebooting the router and base, in that order. If that doesn't help, you may have changed some security setting(s) that are making a difference. Is it just a router or are you using some sort of advanced network? Routers behind routers have been an issue.

It doesn't eem to be a hardware problem but a network configuration one.

Jester646
Tutor
Tutor

Actually you don't know what your talking about!  I found the solution to the problem.  I put all the cameras, base station and all the other crap back in their little bags and packed them nicely in the original box and returned them to the store.  I bought another Arlo/Netgear set of cameras from another store.  Came home hooked them up and within 15 minutes I had the whole system up and running.  The original base station was defective!  Never overlook the obvious.

As I stated in the original post.  Don't waste my time.  Your answers were not helpfull in anyway and told me nothing more than what I had already read.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are troubleshooting steps to be taken to figure out whether it's faulty hardware - that's what I was trying to lead you through. The fact that you didn't give me/us enough details means you immediately screwed yourself. Giving us ALL the information would have had me/us telling you to swap at the store or open a case with support here. Instead, you wasted not only your time but ours as well.