Base station-"offline"

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Archcape
Tutor
Tutor
I keep getting a message that says internet or power is not connected and of course, no image from 4 cameras. I know I have internet-remotely I view nighthawk router and network map and it shows base station. Other apps that rely on router work fine. Reset is difficult-I'm 2 hours away and cameras are at vacation home. This sounds like a recurring problem from reading posts. Is there a solution??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Archcape
Tutor
Tutor
Many thanks TomMac. I use a WeMo wifi controlled plug for the base unit. I was able to restart the base unit after cutting the power and reboot my router-all remotely. And the cameras came back. Thanks for your suggestion-I'm looking at UPS on anazon right now. Cheers!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you can get to the settings of the base unit, you can attempt to restart the base...

If not, there's not much you can do remotely... the base you can maybe access remotely, the cameras not.

Remote usage, has additional issues that normal installs don't see at times ( don't know your setup ) such as vacation homes , etc.

In remote locations I try to recommend that users hook the base units ( and modems ) into a UPS to eleiminate many power issues.

Sometimes if there is a power outage, and it stays down for a while , I've seen the base loose sync to camera. This doesn't happen if the base stays powered ( even with internet down ) If the modem is in the max to the UPS, the system will stay functional unless there is an internet  feed line down

That stated, any system will go down if the feed source is out

As to regular outages, Not so much here as mine is on a UPS and I can said it hasn't gone down in 1 1/2 yrs.

The only other option I can think out ( outside the box type thinking ) is some sort of device that can turn on / off an ac outlet remotely.. if the base is cycled thru power off/on it will usu come back online automaticly

Good luck

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Archcape
Tutor
Tutor
Many thanks TomMac. I use a WeMo wifi controlled plug for the base unit. I was able to restart the base unit after cutting the power and reboot my router-all remotely. And the cameras came back. Thanks for your suggestion-I'm looking at UPS on anazon right now. Cheers!!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Love it...glad to hear its working.... I use to at one time use a timer that would turn off for 1 min every 24 hrs for a remote location due to problems.

After looking at it, I like the Wemo so much ( wifi only, no hub ), I just ordered 3 to test .

Morse is faster than texting!
Archcape
Tutor
Tutor
WeMo works fine but it's a little tricky. When it's on, it will show standby mode (as opposed to on) because the power draw from the base unit is so low. Still works--just have to recognize you won't see "on". Good luck!
marygregory777
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm hooked up to the Internet and it's not working fix the problem please
marygregory777
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The problem may be yours.  Give us as many details as possible.  What have you tried?  What LEDs are lit and what colors?