Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station disconnects from the internet periodically

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
waffle_anna
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought the Arlo system with two cameras, and ever since 2 days ago, the base station starts to disconnect from the internet.. after resetting both the base station and the router, the problem still persists.. I have to unplug my modem and replug it again, only to have the problem resurface a few hours later.

How can I troubleshoot this?

22 REPLIES 22
DaneA
Master
Master

Hi waffle_anna,

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions I have summarized below:

1. If you will connect a PC/laptop directly to your router, are you able to go online just fine?

2. If you will connect a PC/laptop directly to your modem, are you able to go online just fine?

3. What is  the behavior of the LED lights on your Arlo base station?

I will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

DaneA

Arlo Team

waffle_anna
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't have cables from my modem or router connected to my iMac; my iMac doesn't have an ethernet port. All connection is wireless, so I am kind of confused what you mean by "connect to modem". 

The behavior of the LED lights on my base station is as follows: 

The power light is green, the internet light is amber (have to unplug my modem from the power source and replug it for the light to turn green) and the camera light is green.

However, when the modem is flunking, I sometimes I can access the internet on my other devices, and sometimes not. 

I am deeply concerned that the modem will flunk when I am outside, which will leave my home unprotected due to no camera access... 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It kinda sounds like your modem has a problem if your Internet drops and requires a power cycle.

Fortunately, if the modem is rented from your ISP, it's free to have it replaced. I'd try that first.

BrianL
Master
Master

Hi waffle_anna,

Contact your modem/router provider (I presume its your ISP) and have your connection checked. Once they fix your internet issue, reconnect the base station using an ethernet cable and you may now continue monitoring your home even if your outside. 

Hope everything will be sorted as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

BrianL
Arlo Team

Rudy
Apprentice
Apprentice

I experience the same issues since the May updates/changes. If you leave the app open its like the base stations does a refresh periodically.

Dunno why its happening, its not my hardware, it maybe the connection to the media server is throttled by netgear

Wish Netgear would fix these issues, was going to buy more cameras but I am close to giving up on this product and have found a cool trail camera that suits my needs

BrianL
Master
Master

Hi Rudy,

It seems that your base unit and cameras are all up to date. Are you still experiencing the same problem on the web access page or the android/iOS mobile app? 

Kind regards,

BrianL

Arlo Team

BobS
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought another base station and camera as it appeared that my other base station was faulty so I replaced it  - what a big change that was, now neither the cameras or the new base appear - everything is blank  - but the base station now has a green internet light sometimes - I even signed for a new subscription trying get around the problems - all to no avail.

I spent considerable time retrieving the many cameras and pulling batteries and then resyncing each camera with the new base station - it all looked good until I logged out and back in again only to fnd everything has disappeared - now I am back to step 1.

The new base station was connected to another router using a different ISP - it is not the router or the ISP it is ARLO that is the problem you guys have changed something at your end. This is just like the red eye problem where you do nothing for months saying it is a setup issue and finally it became a hardware problem with the camera.

If you want to fill in time try sending an email to support it says the web page is down you click on support it goes to a page you then click on support it goes to another and the support on that page goes back the original page.

This product is totally unfit for the purpose for which it is being sold and in this country there laws about this sort of thing (Trade Practices Act).  I have totally had it with you guys.

I am initially reporting these ongoing product issues to the Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman - you guys need to offer support in a reasonable timeframe.

Very unhappy customer

who is now heading down the legal path

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BobS,

When you describe the internet light as being green sometimes do you mean it is intermittent? Does it go unlit or turn amber intermittently? Was this the same behavior of the first base station?

Just to verify, you were able to add this new base station to your account and sync cameras but upon logging out the base station and cameras are no longer on the account?

JamesC

BobS
Aspirant
Aspirant

James,

One an hour ago I had 3 green lights which had been for at least 7+ hours, now I have only one green light and all other lights are off . This base station has just been sitting there without any intervention whatsoever.

Repeat, one green light hard on all others off, normally I only see amber for a second or so if reseting etc.

In the application I deactivated the old base station and cameras, I removed batteries from all cameras and started the setup process again using the new base station.

One by one I synched the existing cameras + the additional camera that came with the new base station, I subscribed again in the setup just to try that in the hope it might help, so now I have two subscriptions for a non working system.

Things looked really great - software seemed to have changed a little I was going explore this later.

I then logged out and logged back to find I have no base station or cameras and I was back to where I started days earlier.

I cannot see the base station in applciation, I am sure the cameras are having the same problem, it is certainly not caused by routers or ISP, or firewalls etc. I have tried two different routers and two different ISP connections, all firewalls and anti virus etc were turned off during all of this.

Regards

Bob

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BobS,

If the internet LED is unlit (not green or amber) that means the base station is not communicating with the router. Have you tried using a different ethernet cable and a different port on your router? Are you able to verify the router ports are working for other devices?

JamesC

BobS
Aspirant
Aspirant

James,

As mentioned in my previous posts I have used a different base station connected to different (DGND3700V2) router connected to a different ISP (Telstra and TPG) connected a totally different Pc using a different cables.

The cable was among the first thing to be replaced when the problem first occured.

I notice today I now have 2 green lights on (Power and Internet ), most of yesterday and last night there were 3 green lights on, the base station and camera have just been sitting there untouched by anyone.

It seems to me that if the application cannot see the base station then nothing will work and this is the same with both the original base station and the replacement base station that I bought.  The last time it worked was at 7:07pm 25 December 2015.

If you want to find the problem then you should buy back my base stations x 2 and cameras x 6, all of this equipment fails all of the time, it shouldn't take you guys too long to figure out what the problem is if fails all of the time.

Regards

BobS
Aspirant
Aspirant

James,

Given the lack of progress and the ongoing issues I herewith request you cancel my subscription immediately, currently are you are debiting this account twice per month.  I refer to the account associated with this email address.

Unhappy customer

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BobS,

I encourage you to contact support for further investigation of the issue. You can find several contact options here: Arlo Support Center

Your subscription can be cancelled by logging in to your account and navigating to Settings, Subscription and changing your plan to Basic.

JamesC

Swammy7
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue about every other day.  I have to unplug and plug back in my router to fix.  I have no other constantly connected device that requires this.  Any thoughts?

dansfast59
Aspirant
Aspirant
That's good I think that's what needs to happen. Glad you know what to do I have all the trouble u can think of with this camera. I also trying to get support and can't get sh$$
So upset with camera now just have it laying around
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Swammy7, dansfast59

What is indicating to you that the base is disconnecting from the internet? Are you see any error messages? What is the behavior of the internet LED on the base station? 

JamesC

LMTMAN
Aspirant
Aspirant
I agree fully. I've been posting on the Arlo Facebook page and they completely ignore me. Our cameras are down now 90% of the time and it worked fine, AND our cable provider checked the router and while it worked fine they replaced it as a courtesy.
This system is horrible in my opinion and their support is worse.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

LMTMAN,

Without knowing much about the conditions of your setup, it sounds like there could be an interference/range issue. If the cameras are struggling to maintain connection with the base station due to poor WiFi signal strength that could be the problem.

When you experience this issue, what error message are you seeing? What is the status of the LEDs on your base station (specifically the internet LED)? You suggest they are not always offline, if this issue is intermittent, what do you do (if anything) to brings the cameras back online?

JamesC

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy
and here we are one year + later.......problem still there! so much for Netgear listening.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy
Lights on base station all on (green) but cameras show as off-line and "disarmed ". A few seconds later they will show "armed" again. Other times it will say "base station disconnected or off-line ".
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy
This goes on and on all the times. Base station and/or cameras definitely disconnect from Arlo server constantly! No wonder why the cameras motion triggering/recording only works half the times.
Also notice, no other devices connected to my Wi-Fi get disconnected. No point in even blaming on local connection.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There have been other folks here that struggled for a (too) long time with issues and finally got the base replaced.  The problems went away with the replacement.  Don't know how they convinced support to issue an RMA but it's better than just continuing to have problems.