Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base Station goes offline twice this week. No issue with router so curious why constant offline

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
happydays-ni
Aspirant
Aspirant

New user. System in place for a week. Four wireless cameras plus a Q.
Twice this week the base station has gone off-line. I’m
UK based using Sky as my broadband supplier. Smart TV connected via Ethernet cable, Netflix works, so I definitely have a router connection to broadband. Never any issues with broadband before, speed test shows 79Mbs so all fine there.
Lights on netgear box show left green, centre unlit, right green.

I’m not at home (wife took pics) so cannot reset until this evening.

I’d really like to understand why this could be happening. Twice in three days isn’t a great reliable service.

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Also happen to me the other day...believe it was due to an update.

A fix to remotely restart the base exists as a Wemo outlet ( smart outlet ) which can be toggled off - on if wifi is working.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If your wife is home, just have her turn the base off and back on (or uplug and plug the base bak in) to see if that works.

happydays-ni
Aspirant
Aspirant

A reboot got the connection back. However, my point is - if we are both out at work, and the system drops again (twice in three days) we might as well have tin cans attached to the wall for all the security that the camera system affords us.

I’m not angry, just trying to understand why this is happening, and how I can resolve it when away from home. I understand that it’s complicated software and that glitches can often happen, but the base station dropping out is a fundamental flaw, to me.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There does seem to be a rash of these complaints, seemingly due to recent firmware updates.

While waiting for an update, consider 2 things:

1) A UPS for your modem, router and base. This will prevent issues when power is lost and keeps the system working.

2) A WiFi switch such as a WeMo that the base plugs into so you can remotely power cycle the base.