Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base Station Not Connected to the Internet

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Letitia
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have installed my new system.  I have downloaded the app to my smartphone.  My smartphone is able to "get status" and provide me with live video from my cameras.

On the other hand, I can't get my computer to do the same.  I get the following message:

"Your base station is not connected to the Internet. Please make sure it's powered on and connected to your router."

It is powered on and connected to my router.  I get the three green lights, so it appears that it should work.

Where did I go wrong?  Let me know.  And thanks for your help!

16 REPLIES 16
JennC
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello Letitia,

If your smart phone is able to login and get the status of the Arlo system you have then this means the Arlo base station is getting on the Internet, and that the smart phone is connected to the same network where the Arlo is.

You can only login to the Arlo system on one local device at a time. If you are accessing the Arlo system on the smart phone and you want to access it on the computer, you need to logout first from the smart phone.

On your computer, use the Arlo account you used on the smart phone or use an account that has been added or invited as friend to view the Arlo cameras. It is possible that the account you have used on the computer is different from the one you used on the smartphone and/or not added as a friend to access the Arlo camera/s.

Regards,

JennC
NETGEAR Community Team
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can only login to the Arlo system on one local device at a time. If you are accessing the Arlo system on the smart phone and you want to access it on the computer, you need to logout first from the smart phone.

Not exactly - you don't need to log out first.  Logging in from a second device will cause the first login to be terminated unless the recent server/app updates have changed that.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Letitia,

If you're able to access your system and view live video via the smartphone app it sounds like you have everything set up correctly.  The message you're getting on your computer could be related to the browser you are using or your Flash Player.  Make sure you have the latest version of your web browser and Flash player is enabled and up to date.  Clear your browser cache (the method for this will vary depending on the browser you are using) and try accessing from your computer again.

Let us know if this helps!

JamesC

Letitia
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your help!  It appeared to be a brower problem.  All fixed!

BrownBullhead
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have exactly the same situation as original poster, but clearing cache, rebooting Windows, trying the above steps, nothing is helping.

Windows 10 Home for o/s, Browsers I have tried include Microsoft Edge , Mozilla Firefox 39.0.3, and Google Chrome 44.0.2403.

So, what now?  Android App on both LTE and WiFi works okay.  All else fails.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm on W10 using Chrome with no problems. Firefox works as well. It would appear to be some sort of issue on your computer. Since I just got this message myself, all I did was log out of my session and back in and the display was normal.

BrownBullhead
Aspirant
Aspirant
Tried on both my laptop and desktop with sane issues. I'm really not inclined to spend a ton of time on resolving this. I was assuming this was going to be a relatively plug and play solution as far as getting them up and running.

Laptop is wireless and desktop is wired. Same browser extensions in both. Security software is bit defender and problem remains with software disabled or not. Can't think what else to try.
BrownBullhead
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry, "EDGE" does not have any extensions or addons installed.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Haven't tried Edge yet. It may not be the computer but your router. Have you made any changes to the default setting for ports, etc.? 

BrownBullhead
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I ended up trying putting the Netgear's IP in my Pace router's DMZ - no luck. 

I tried disabling BitDefender Security - no luck. 

Tried a firmware update on the Netgear, and while that was successful - still no luck.

I factory restored the desktop PC from the OEM's recovery DVD's, and - that worked. 

Only... I'd still like to have WIN10.

Is it possible that browser extensions such as Ad Block Plus, HTTPS Everywhere, Ghostery, would have prevented the web access from working?  Recall, the Android App always worked flawlessly - it was web access that was the problem.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My W10 installation works fine on all 3 browsers. I have few extensions and only on Firefox and Chrome. Edge is what it is. I do have AdBlock installed (not Pro). You could always start the browsers in safe mode to help eliminate extension s as the issue. The only other thing I would check would be the firewall.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have exactly the same problem (as I reported in another thread on this subject), but only on Chrome.  IE fails at first, but after refreshing the page it works again.  This only started happening recently, and I have done nothing to my PC to change anything, other than to keep it up to date.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Update:  I was able to get Chrome to work by logging out and logging in again.  Very strange.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't know what the reason is but logging out and back in solves any problems I've had so far using a web browser.  That's not to say that's the ultimate answer but it's certainly one thing to try right away.

ngerasimatos
Guide
Guide

JennC wrote:

Hello Letitia,

If your smart phone is able to login and get the status of the Arlo system you have then this means the Arlo base station is getting on the Internet, and that the smart phone is connected to the same network where the Arlo is.

On your computer, use the Arlo account you used on the smart phone or use an account that has been added or invited as friend to view the Arlo cameras. It is possible that the account you have used on the computer is different from the one you used on the smartphone and/or not added as a friend to access the Arlo camera/s.

Regards,

Awesome that I stumbled upon this. I couldnt figure why I was not able to login via my phone and laptop at the same time on my network. This explains everything. Are they ever going to change this or is this an intended function? 

KristynM
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

ngerasimatos,

I'm glad that you were able to find an answer to your question you were having regarding logging in simultaneously. 

With regards to your feature request, I highly suggest that you post the idea/suggestion on our Arlo Idea Exchange board. The development team is always looking for new ideas to improve our Arlo system.

Regards,
KristynM
Arlo Support Team