Base Station Management

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
bstamper
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is this nothing more than a router?  I tried to login to it.  Typically https://IPOFROUTER but it didn't serve up a login page or anything.  Just assumed it worked the same as a router.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Arlo-Man
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, it is more or less. There's nothing user configurable within it though. Access has been locked down.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Arlo-Man
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, it is more or less. There's nothing user configurable within it though. Access has been locked down.

bstamper
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK good enough.  I found it on my network and was going to set or make sure the 2.4Ghz channel was hard set to 1, 6, or 11 and then make sure my other Wifi in the house was off that channel to make sure the channel Arlo was on had the lowest possible channel utilization.

Anyone know, is the channel the base station uses "hard set" or does it "pick one dynamically" when it boots up?  Mine is on 6 right now.  I don't want to do what I talked about above in moving all my other home Wifi off 6 unless I know Arlo is going to stay there. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the base is near the router it will use the same channel as the router. This is by design and, even though there are lots of complaints about this, seems to be correct design. If you want a different channel, the easiest thing to do is to move the base using a long cable so the base picks it's own channel. 20 feet separation is suggested.

bstamper
Aspirant
Aspirant

So what your saying is the base chooses its channel dynamically?

Arlo-Man
Luminary
Luminary

Never checked to see if it changes. My bet is that it probably uses channel 6. LoL

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

bstamper wrote:

So what your saying is the base chooses its channel dynamically?

Yes, you can't set it.

ortizfja
Aspirant
Aspirant

But how can the channel be changed?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It can't.  The base decides and that's it.  It's based on science and WiFi technology but some folks have resorted to moving the base away from the router which would then have the base select a channel other than what the router is using.  20 feet away is what's usually suggested for this.