Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Availability of Ethernet Ports

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Mongo
Follower
Follower

Hi,

I don't have any more Ethernet ports available on my Netgear R6300 Router, although I do have four ports available on my Netgear Universal Wireless Extender WN2000RPT.

Would it be possible to use one of the available Ethernet Ports on the Extender to attach the Arlo System?

If so, wiill there be any difference in the quality/functionality when connected to the Extender instead of directly into the main router?

Thanks & Regards

Mongo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have used the base station briefly on an Ethernet switch (that was actually connected to another switch and THEN to the router) successfully. However, using a port on a wireless extender then adds the issue that the typical extender only has half the bandwidth of what the router supplies since it uses the same band to both transmit and receive.  As stated above, you may encounter problems with minimum bandwidth. 

There are some extenders with advanced capabilities, such as the Netgear  WN3500RP dual band that I use.  It allows communication with the router on one band (2.4 or 5GHz) and communication with the attaching devices on the other band.  This allows full wireless bandwidth since each band is used for only one part of the connection.  Of course, it also means you have to have a dual band router.

In reality, even half the wireless bandwidth should be more than sufficient to meet the 1Mb/s requirement for Arlo. I'd try it but should be ready for issues when multiple devices are accessing the same extender.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

I strongly recommend to connect this system straight to your router.. Connecting it to your Netgear Universal Wireless Extender WN2000RPT might not have a sufficient throughput.. It will prolly' work but if there's any interference then you're gonna' have connectivity issues.. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have used the base station briefly on an Ethernet switch (that was actually connected to another switch and THEN to the router) successfully. However, using a port on a wireless extender then adds the issue that the typical extender only has half the bandwidth of what the router supplies since it uses the same band to both transmit and receive.  As stated above, you may encounter problems with minimum bandwidth. 

There are some extenders with advanced capabilities, such as the Netgear  WN3500RP dual band that I use.  It allows communication with the router on one band (2.4 or 5GHz) and communication with the attaching devices on the other band.  This allows full wireless bandwidth since each band is used for only one part of the connection.  Of course, it also means you have to have a dual band router.

In reality, even half the wireless bandwidth should be more than sufficient to meet the 1Mb/s requirement for Arlo. I'd try it but should be ready for issues when multiple devices are accessing the same extender.

Heritage
Tutor
Tutor

I personally hate all wireless repeaters from any manufacture.  Buy a cheap ethernet Gigabit switch on amazon some come with ethernet cable other don't.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That doesn't really help if the distance is substantial and the cable needs to be run long distances or if longer WiFi distance is needed. Each device has its strengths and weaknesses.

Heritage
Tutor
Tutor
In my own home I have Fios. I found the best setup for me was to turn on the ONT(white box) Ethernet port and run that to master Fios router(new cable boxes DVR will not work with other routers). Because each room in my house has cable I got 2 other Fios routers to bridge using coax ie MoCa to master fios router. This setup supported the 150M both upload and download. New updated Verizon router should support 300M even in large homes. It's a complex setup an you can find directions online note Verizon will not help you set it up. Only stopped working once this year during leap second. Went 3 years without reset

Wireless bridges died at 35M and crashed often. Ethernet over power lines top out at 65M and crashed a lot plus I had to remove AFCI circuit breakers.

At my brother home I used a directional antenna system to bridge down to a stable. I'm not happy with its performance. Pushed 78M but it does crash at least once a month