Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo with satellite

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jpierce4
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, I have a gilat modem for satellite internet. When I plug cable into this from arlo station, or into the netgear nighthawk router, the Internet light on the arlo stays orange. Any ideas, does it only work with a certain latency?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While latency could be an issue, it could be more basic.  First, try resetting the base using the reset button until the LEDs flash amber.  Wait for the base to reboot and see if anything changes. If not, something is blocking the connection to the servers.  One thing to try is to use http://speedtest.net to check latency and upload speeds.  That's useful information even if it doesn't actually solve the problem.

Who owns the networking equipment - you or the ISP?  You may well need to contact the ISP for technical help.  In particular, ports 80, 443 and 123 need to be open to arlo.netgear.com. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jpierce4
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While latency could be an issue, it could be more basic.  First, try resetting the base using the reset button until the LEDs flash amber.  Wait for the base to reboot and see if anything changes. If not, something is blocking the connection to the servers.  One thing to try is to use http://speedtest.net to check latency and upload speeds.  That's useful information even if it doesn't actually solve the problem.

Who owns the networking equipment - you or the ISP?  You may well need to contact the ISP for technical help.  In particular, ports 80, 443 and 123 need to be open to arlo.netgear.com. 

jpierce4
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a fixed IP address with the satellite modem and all ports are open. Think I've solved it though - on the nighthawk I needed to add port forwarding for the device. Seems to work now thanks.