Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo wireless camera placed in window filming out

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
austinnate
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to place the camera inside, but point it outside. Will it work through a window?

The camera will shoot video through the window I assume but will the motion detector work?

I'm assuming the glass blocks infra-red (IR) and the motion detector is IR based....?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Gotta ask since this is the Arlo Q section - are you asking about the Q or the wireless cameras?  It makes a difference because of the difference in motion detection schemes.

You seem to imply that you're using the wireless system because it does use a passive IR detector which won't work through glass.  The Q camera uses pixel-based detection and generally works fine behind a window - I'm using it this way with few problems.  The IR illuminators (night vision) need to be disabled in either case because of the reflection caused.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Gotta ask since this is the Arlo Q section - are you asking about the Q or the wireless cameras?  It makes a difference because of the difference in motion detection schemes.

You seem to imply that you're using the wireless system because it does use a passive IR detector which won't work through glass.  The Q camera uses pixel-based detection and generally works fine behind a window - I'm using it this way with few problems.  The IR illuminators (night vision) need to be disabled in either case because of the reflection caused.

austinnate
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sorry about placing this in the wrong area but thank you for the info...!!