Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo website video monitoring creates heavy CPU draw

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

On macOS 10.12.6, with a 3.1 GHz i-7, watching 1 camera live in updated-as-of-today FIrefox with u-a-o-t Flash player plugin, Activity Monitor reports the CPU usage on the plugin around 130% with the occasional dip to 100%.

Watching, from elsewhere around the web, all manners of video being streamed through a Flash plugin, I do not see this sort of crippling, fan-inducing, performance.

Any ideas on what's going on with the design of the Flash content to make it so heavy?

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

quarkdoll,

Is this causing a specific issue for you when viewing (freezing up, lag, etc.)?

JamesC

quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, of course. Aside from the physical affect of forcing my laptop fan to run needlessly for as long as I want to watch a single Arlo camera, it is slowing down, for example, my compiles.

Your question side steps the underlying question which is: why can all of these other sites implement streaming video playback using (unfortunately) Flash but Arlo's implementation brings my laptop to its knees.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

quarkdoll,

I don't have a macOS system readily available to test this but i'm not experiencing the same CPU load you describe when using a PC (Chrome/Firefox).

I've provided your description to the QA team. I will provide an update as soon as I can.

JamesC

quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you.

Interestingly, i get a lesser CPU pull (~55%) when using Chrome (but given Chrome's antipathy for Flash, it's possible Chrome (if the website content provides this) is using only HTML5 to support the streaming).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

quarkdoll,

The QA team is questioning the flash plug-in you're using as described (FIrefox with u-a-o-t Flash player plugin). Is this the standard Flash plugin or something else?

JamesC

quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's the plugin which is updated / installed by downloading an updater / installer from get.adobe.com/flashplayer

about:plugins in FF shows:

Shockwave Flash

File: Flash Player.plugin
Path: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin
Version: 28.0.0.137
State: Enabled
Shockwave Flash 28.0 r0

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

quarkdoll,

Thanks for the clarification. This is currently undergoing testing by the QA team, I will provide an update soon.

JamesC