Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
bcrabtree
Tutor
Tutor

We recently purchased a basic Arlo Wireless 2 camera and basestation kit.

We have one camera that constantly disconnects. And one that works as expected.

For the device we're troubleshooting we've tried:

1. Battery replacement

2. Location Change

3. Basestation relocation (in case of interference).

4. Switching the two cameras where the first is working and second isn't.

5. Removing the trouble device and re-syncing.

Nothing has worked. It connects, works for ~15 minutes, then disconnects. To reconnect, I have to remove the batteries, then reinsert. The basestation picks up the device in less than 1 minute. The device will take about 30 seconds to reconnect via the iOS app. Then, 5 to 15 minutes later, the device goes offline.

In addition, for the device with issues, the first round of batteries was at 95%. 5 days later, while both devices were turned off, device in question dropped to 12%.

The second set of batteries, new with 92% life remaining (per the Arlo App readout), dropped to 72% in ~ 1/1.5 hour(s).

I'm concerned the camera is defective and/or isn't responding correctly to the base station correctly.

Based on one camera working correctly, I'm assuming the base station is working as expected.

Before contacting support, I'm curious if anyone has encountered this issue and if there is anything I can do... or if it's just time to contact support and let them working it out.

Thank you!

CAM SPECS:

- Arlo Wireless

- HW Version H11

- Firmware 1.2.16720

WORKING WITH:

- Arlo iOS App (latest version)

- Google Wifi Mesh Network - basestation connected to secondary router. *Attempted ethernet connection through switch on main router.

- Bandwidth: 110MB/s down || 10MB/s up

4 REPLIES 4
brh
Master
Master

@bcrabtree

There is a good chance that the camera is defective. You can contact Customer Support at the green banner near the bottom of this page. Can you return the system?

There are a few things you can try in the meantime.

1) Do a factory reset of the base station. Here is the link to do that:

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-base-station-to-the-default-values

2) Swap the camera locations. That will tell you if you have an interference problem.

3) The batteries are probably failing too fast because the camera keeps losing its connection. But to be sure it is not a battery issue, remove the batteries and gently re-insert them letting the closing of the battery cover apply the proper pressure to seat the batteries. These cameras can work on two batteries, although at a reduced performance level.

Brian

bcrabtree
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks @brh

1) Do a factory reset of the base station.
 - I'll give this a shot.

2) Swap the camera locations. That will tell you if you have an interference problem.

- We tried this a few times and several locations without luck.

3) The batteries are probably failing too fast because the camera keeps losing its connection. But to be sure it is not a battery issue, remove the batteries and gently re-insert them letting the closing of the battery cover apply the proper pressure to seat the batteries. These cameras can work on two batteries, although at a reduced performance level.

- Thank you, I'll re-evaluate how I'm seating the batteries.

If #1 and #3 are unable to resolve the issue, I'll contact support tomorrow or Monday.

Thank you for the recommendations!

Scott2ya
Luminary
Luminary
I don't have any of the older Arlo's, but it sure sounds like you've done all that you can do to isolate. I'd go ahead and call support.
bcrabtree
Tutor
Tutor

Just wanted to update the thread in case anyone else has similar issues.

We tried everything recommended in the community on top of our list.

After contacting support, they deemed it a device issue. We're sending it back to recieve a replacement camera.

I appreciate the recommendations and assistance.

Thank you!