Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo sleep mode

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
mthome57
Tutor
Tutor

Problem I have is disabling cameras and then forgetting to turn them back on.
Is there a way to put them in a sleep mode for like 15 mins.

16 REPLIES 16
manfredz
Hero
Hero

dont really understand why you're trying to do what you want to do.

Maybe usung the scheduler to have your cams armed only certain times of the day accomplishes what you want to do.

mthome57
Tutor
Tutor

I have times I'm running out to the garage, car or doing something in drive and it would be nice if you could put cameras in a sleep mode so they don't fill up your library and run your batteries down. But would come back on automatically after a 1/2 hr or so

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not possible with the current software.  Just leave them armed and accept the extra videos.  Reduce the recording time to help with battery life.

hotdealdave
Tutor
Tutor

I would love to see this in a future version of the software. I sometimes have problems with wasps crawling on the cameras, or with the wind pushing branches around. Sensitivity is as low as it can go without missing actual people coming to the door and such.. Currently the only way to stop the constant false alerts is to turn the cameras off when this is happening. Seems I'm not the only one that would like a "sleep" feature.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Depends on what you mean by sleep.  The cameras already sleep between motion detections. If you simply want them off at times, use the scheduler to automate turning your modes off and on.

hotdealdave
Tutor
Tutor
That is a good feature, but it doesn’t help when I’m at work and a bee decides to make love to my camera, causing it to false alarm 20 or 30 times in a short span.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That caan happen with any motion detection camera.

hotdealdave
Tutor
Tutor
I agree. So a snooze/sleep mode would be a good feature for Arlo and for competitive products as well.
cyndiego
Initiate
Initiate

I just want to second the request for a snooze feature. Most of the time the Arlos work great to alert me to anyone coming up to the house. But then sometimes my kids hang out in the front playing basketball and I have to listen to my phone buzzing continually. Snoozing for 15 minutes at a time would be awesome. 

In general, the frustration with security systems is balancing the need to detect intruders with not wanting the system (lights, alarms, cameras) constantly going off on the residents' normal activities.

mthome57
Tutor
Tutor
Said this before and replys offered was setup a time control.. Which totally missed the point. I want a snooze so if I’m going out or someone comes over I put it in sleep mode and it automatically turns back on after 15 mins or so.
DBurnett
Initiate
Initiate

+1

I realize this thread is old (and there are older ones going all the way back to 2015), but I couldn't agree more.  Having a snooze feature would be huge, especially during nice weather when my kids are out of school and playing out in the front yard and driveway, or my wife goes out to mow the lawn, etc.  My phone blows up, and I know I can disable the cameras, but then I always forget to re-arm them since I'm busy at work.  My Ring doorbell just implemented a snooze feature - would it be that difficult for Arlo to do, especially since people have been requesting this feature for three years now?

AmandaD
Initiate
Initiate

Yes- I love my Arlo camera system, but this simple thing drives me nuts! I often turn it off the timer/schedole mode & forget to turn them back on. 

It seems like a pretty easy software issue & would add a ton of functionality. It would be awesome to have a sleep mode for holidays, when we're at the house on a  Monday-Friday when we typically have it armed. Or when the yard mowers come or the cleaning lady comes- just to hit pause for a few hours instead of getting 100+ alerts/videos.  

pbehnke
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been waiting for this feature for years, please add it! A few more examples of when this feature would be useful:

- Holidays (when you are home instead of at work)

- Getting home from work early (before your schedule automatically turns it off)

- Gardener is working in the yard

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can effectively do that by creating a custom mode. Like a "sleep" mode, you still need to manually activate it.

pbehnke
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat wrote:

You can effectively do that by creating a custom mode. Like a "sleep" mode, you still need to manually activate it.

The point is to not have to manually re-activate it.  I usually keep my mode on "Schedule" so I would like to be able to snooze that (whatever mode the schedule is currently on) and have it return to the Schedule "x" minutes later.  Currently my solution is to place it in "Disarmed" for the period I don't want it activated but then as others mention I often forget to change the mode back to "Schedule" before going to bed (because I want it armed at night). 

Treverjones
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wanted to agree that I also think a sleep mode would be great.  The above reasons listed above are right on.  Like it was stated above, if a bee is buzzing around your camera or if your gardner is gardening, it would be great to have the camera "sleep" for 15 mins, 30 mins, or 1 hour and then automatically go back to it's schedule. 

If myself or my wife is doing a bunch of laundry in the garage and we see the alert of "person detected on garage camera" it would be nice to press "sleep" and choose a duration rather than chaging the mode on the camera and having to remember to change it back later.

Lately I've just been turning the camera off.  This is a quick thing to do but I have to remember to turn the camera back on.  It'd be nice to have an option to automatically turn the camera back on after a specified duration.  Maybe this duration could be custom. 

Arlo - can you change this please?  🙂